GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first bike I have owned that had a mostly enclosed rear wheel area. I am amazed at how much black dust accumulates on the rear wheel. My bike has less than 5000 miles on it, still on the original tires and brake pads. What is that dust? Is it just a combination of tire rubber, brake pad dust and regular dirt?

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is the first bike I have owned that had a mostly enclosed rear wheel area. I am amazed at how much black dust accumulates on the rear wheel. My bike has less than 5000 miles on it, still on the original tires and brake pads. What is that dust? Is it just a combination of tire rubber, brake pad dust and regular dirt?
This is why I liked the Blacked-Out wheels on my F6B and now on my 2018 Goldwing. I wash them maybe twice a year, otherwise you can't even tell they are dirty.

Is it just a combination of tire rubber, brake pad dust and regular dirt?[
All of the above.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Brake pads and tire dust.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
And this is why some of us have purchased the rear fender filler between the bags and fender. Do much riding in the rain and that gap lets all of that filth cover the back of the bags and license plate. A mud flap helps keep it off of your trailer or receiver box.

·
Registered
506 Posts
A little simple green and a rinse and they look good as new.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
To keep your wing in pristine condition you really need to was it after every ride.....

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree, I wash mine after every ride. Keep a bottle of S100 around, it's great stuff, usually wash mine early next morning while it's cool. Just spray it on and let soak for about a minute then hose it off. Then I use Turtle Wax & Dry, keeps it shiny new.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I might wash mine before I put it away for winter storage, if it really needs it.

prs

Reactions: BretC

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I have not installed the EC side panels. I wonder if Honda may have left those rear facing openings as a means to pull air through that area while riding as a means of cooling the underside or as a means of having all that road dust exiting the back instead of collecting so heavily in the under the seat wiring/electronics area. I dunno.

prs

Reactions: Jolly Jim

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I might wash mine before I put it away for winter storage, if it really needs it.

prs
I have never stored a bike for the winter. Lucky I can ride all year long. I do a good wash mine about one a month; otherwise just wipe it down about weekly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have sealed the wheels with F11 when the bike was new. Wheels clean easy and I have re applied F11 a few times. The dust and grime almost fall off the wheels compared without the F11. Wax would also likely work but F11 does not leave a white paste in the small cracks and pores

I am lazy .... but like a clean (no shiny bike) F11 is not great for cleaning only sealing and protecting ... most of my Florida friends use it on bike and trucks to help keep the love bugs and salt spray off the bikes

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have not installed the EC side panels. I wonder if Honda may have left those rear facing openings as a means to pull air through that area while riding as a means of cooling the underside or as a means of having all that road dust exiting the back instead of collecting so heavily in the under the seat wiring/electronics area. I dunno.

prs
Does the 2018 get as dirty under the seat as the 2001-17s do? I've had a couple of other fully faired bikes and neither collected dust/road grime under the seat like my '06 does.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Does the 2018 get as dirty under the seat as the 2001-17s do? I've had a couple of other fully faired bikes and neither collected dust/road grime under the seat like my '06 does.
Yes, the 2018 gets just as dirty under the seat as the previous 01-17 wings.

:doorag:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Do as you like, but I would recommend taking a shop towel and a little Simple Green to wipe off the brake dust from your rear and front wheels after every ride. It only takes 5 minutes and it gives you a great opportunity to inspect your tires for wear, cupping, nails or other damage. They will become pitted before you know it and you won't like how they then look.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have sealed the wheels with F11 when the bike was new. Wheels clean easy and I have re applied F11 a few times. The dust and grime almost fall off the wheels compared without the F11. Wax would also likely work but F11 does not leave a white paste in the small cracks and pores

I am lazy .... but like a clean (no shiny bike) F11 is not great for cleaning only sealing and protecting ... most of my Florida friends use it on bike and trucks to help keep the love bugs and salt spray off the bikes
I also use F11 , on the entire bike, makes cleaning so much easier. (Also find Lemon pledge cuts the bugs good in between using top coat).
I dry wipe the wheels when they start looking dirty and it wipes easily.

pbr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts