GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like changing the Final Drive Gear Oil today and the motorcycle shops are closed; no place to buy motorcycle gear oil today.

My plan is to go to the auto parts store and buy it there. I assume that any 80W90 gear oil would be okay. Is that right?

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
I feel like changing the Final Drive Gear Oil today and the motorcycle shops are closed; no place to buy motorcycle gear oil today.

My plan is to go to the auto parts store and buy it there. I assume that any 80W90 gear oil would be okay. Is that right?
Yep! I personally use 75W90 Valvoline Full Synthetic. Available just about anywhere (Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, etc...).

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Yep! I personally use 75W90 Valvoline Full Synthetic. Available just about anywhere (Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, etc...).
:yes1: what he said .
:thumbup: +3

I'm usually not a big Valvoline fan but in this case, it's just gear oil so there isn't the engine heat to worry about which is what seems to cause the Valvoline oil to fail earlier than others when used in the engine. How bad can it be? It's full synthetic and a reasonable price.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use AMSOil for everything - particularly in motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.

Bought the Valvoline 75w90 at Autozone and while I was there I noticed a pump with a 12" clear tube for $8.99. It screws in the top of a 1 qt bottle.

It worked great and now I no longer have to mess with a syringe. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts