GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2006 Goldwing. I want to change all the fluids, filters, and plugs so I have a baseline of where everything stands. The manual says that the final drive gear oil should be SAE80 (straight 80 weight). I couldn't fins straight 80 weight in the auto parts store, but I have some Lucas 75W-90 gear oil in the garage. Will this work or should I get something else? The only other thing I can find at the store is the Lucas 80W-90 gear oil. Would that be better AND is it the same as what the manual recommends.

·
Registered
949 Posts
80-90 has worked well in my 08 with 100k. Your Lucas will work just fine, change as needed and ride more :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dougbug for the quick reply. So the 75W-90 I have in the garage should do the trick?

·
Registered
476 Posts
differial gear lube change

make sure to loosen the fill plug using a 6 point socket or wrench BEFORE draining the old oil. Some times the plug hex will strip or break off and you won't be able to refill the diff. and you will need a new fill plug. Do not over tighten the fill plug when re-installing!

Billy

·
Registered
802 Posts
Another tip: When filling the final drive (technically final drives and differentials are two different things), do not spin the wheel and keep topping it off with gear oil. Gear oil is thick and will adhere to the gears at first. Once it all flows down and with the fill cap back on, you will have overfilled. When riding, the excess gear oil will find its way out through the vent cap and get all over the final drive and rear wheel. A nasty mess to clean up!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Speedbump. I had seen that in some other post yesterday, but I will be sure to avoid that!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts