GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a nipple on the underside of the final drive unit on my '05. It has been slowly discharging oil (onto the back tire when it's parked on the sidestand). What is this nipple for? Is is supposed to have a cap?

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
It's just a weep hole. It's made to be open. Sounds like it's over full or you have a bad seal.

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
That nippel is the drain for the inside void of your final drive. Your seal is leaking causing the oil to drip.

You need to have this looked at right away. They will not heal themselves.

Just MTCW.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
52 Posts
put it on the center stand remove the filler cap if any fluid runs out it is too full:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well same thing happened to me last winter.So far replys are right on either to full or the inner seals have gone bad.Mine was not over filled so it had to be the seals and out of warranty.A fellow member offered to sell me his low mile final drive after he had triked his wing.That is what I done and it is doing a fine job.You can do this for less that having a final drive repaired.TDR

·
Registered
977 Posts
My 05 did the exact same thing. Had repaired under warranty. Unless I am mistaken, the original warranty should be for 4 years. Do a search for "Final Drive" and you will find volumes of info. I have learned more from this board than any mechanic or dealer will ever teach you about your bike. It took the shop about 1 hour to replace the drive shaft seals, clean everything up and refill with new fluid. I can recomend a good dealer / shop if you are anywhere near East Tennessee.

Good Luck,

Jay Hoover

1 - 6 of 6 Posts