GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source to purchase a good final drive, other than ebay, for an 03 at a reasonable price. Mine started leaking today. Would rather do the repairs myself.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my next step, thanks.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
973 Posts
Arkie,
Have you determined why it is leaking? Mine developed a leak last year and I was able to order the parts and repair it myself without all that much trouble and no special tools other than what a regular mechanic might have. The only "special" tool I needed was an impact driver for loosening a couple of screws. Seriously, take a look in your manual at how the final drive is put together and you'll see that there are only a few seals that can allow leaks. I replaced them all for not that much money. I don't remember exactly how much I spent on parts but it was less than $50 and I did the work one afternooon in my driveway. On a scale of difficulty 1 to 10, I'd rate it not too bad.

P.S. Not to point too fine a point to it but Goldwings don't have a "differential". They have a "Right Angle Gear Drive" for their final drive. (If I've mis-called it I'm sure someone will correct me. Please.)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Contact ...

Honda of Van Wert
10852 US 127 South
Van Wert, OH 45891

Service Dept. Gary Perl ... Phone 1-419-238-1776

These people are a trike conversion shop as well as a GREAT Honda dealer ... they recently replaced my 1800 rear end when it suffered a "catastrophic" failure when the main bearing went out cousing a BIG leak in the seal and almost ALL the oil spilled out instantly.

Please tell Gary I recommended him ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My left ball bearing failed also. The cage was destroyed and it cut the seal completely out. Dealer took the damaged final drive and gave me one from a triked 06. All is up and running. The bike was down about 27 hours.

Thanks for all of the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts