GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an 03 goldwing with 15k miles on it and recent new Metzler tires, put on before I bought the bike. I have a roar in the rear of the bike when I turn left or lean the bike to the left at about 40 mph up. It's also there on a right turn or lean but only slightly. It is still there when I pull the clutch in and coast at these speeds. Please chime in if you've had or heard of this problem and know of a cure? I'm in the process of draining the final drive, it did have the correct amount of gear oil in it, about 4 ounces and I plan to put Amsoil oil back in it tomorrow. Everything seems tight and it has no wobble in it. Any help appreciated.

Thank You
Danny

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You said new metz installed , lots of guys says these tires are very noisy, high whine to them, just check or change the rear hub it's easy I use nothing but mobil 1 rear end lube synthetic, probably just fine your looking for a weird noise it's new to you and there are many, just look around on the rear swing for cracks while your changing the hub oil...snow...

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It's not a final drive problem per your description. Sounds like a tire issue for sure.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Same with my 02 :roll: I have always run on Bridgestones except when recently forced to buy the only rear tire on the shelf which was a Metzler.

Oh boy does it howl when leaned into a corner. It is positively the rear tire in my case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input, I feel alot better........

Thanks everyone, I feel alot better........
Danny

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Rear tire most likely. In many cases it sounds like teh front tire because teh sound is reflecting back at you from wind screen.

prs

·
Registered
628 Posts
It could very well be tire noise, however considering the rear of the bike is designed around a single arm it is also possible there is more flex and with that flex there might be a little noise associated with it. I have noticed a small amount of roughness and increased rumbling from mine under similar circumstance. I am of the opinion it is normal but being older and used to traditional design I can't shake this nagging feeling that the arm isn't as strong and subject to failure. No issues of this nature have surfaced yet thank goodness!

LAW

·
Registered
143 Posts
Noise

It has been my expeience that what you are hearing is just the noise the tire tread pattern makes when we lean the bike in a turn. Relax and enjoy the ride, I certainly do these waining days of our riding season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really didn't expect to get such great response to this guestion from so many intelligent people and I want to say Thanks to all who responded, I don't have the knowledge to compare the stock tire to the Metzler so this is great information, once again THANKS.................
Danny

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
TIRES! Are they just a little bit Cupped? Then again, TIRES!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had an identical noise when my Metzlers had about 10K, continued riding them until 16K. Replaced the rear only with a Bridgestone and noise went away. I still have mileage left on the front Metzler, so I am not going to change it yet. I do have some decel wobble, but a Bridgestone will be going on when I replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts