GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer the other day and and saw the final drive oil with a weight of 80/90.

My question is, I have some Royal Purple 75/90 gear oil. Will the lower weight of 75 instead of 80 have any impact on my final drive if I were to change out to the Royal Purple?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I use Genuine Honda Drive oil

If my drive explodes Honda will fix under warrenty as I used their oil

simple

R

·
0 Posts
So if I used Yamaha 80/90 final gear oil would I have to take my Honda to Yamaha for warranty work on the final gear? :lol:

·
Banned
625 Posts
Here is a white paper comparison of 14 popular gear lubes including AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and others using standard ASTM gear lube performance testing by independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute: https://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx?zo=1181889 . Only 2 passed all standard performance tests.

Note that none are certified by API, but they all are supposed to meet API service designations. None are certified by SAE for viscosity, and some fail to meet the proper viscosity right out of the bottle. None of the data has been disputed by the competition.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Here is a white paper comparison of 14 popular gear lubes including AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and others using standard ASTM gear lube performance testing by independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute: https://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx?zo=1181889 . Only 2 passed all standard performance tests.

Note that none are certified by API, but they all are supposed to meet API service designations. None are certified by SAE for viscosity, and some fail to meet the proper viscosity right out of the bottle. None of the data has been disputed by the competition.
Tim,
So, how did the Amsoil standard gear lube (long life) fair in comparison as the test only shows the Severe Gear?
That's what I've been using as it's available at the local Fleet farm.

1. Severe Gear 75W-90
Product Code: SVGQT-EA

2. 75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube Product Code: FGRQT-EA

·
Banned
625 Posts
Tim,
So, how did the Amsoil standard gear lube (long life) fair in comparison as the test only shows the Severe Gear?
That's what I've been using as it's available at the local Fleet farm.

1. Severe Gear 75W-90 Product Code: SVGQT-EA

2. 75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube Product Code: FGRQT-EA
They compare very closely. Same base oil, slightly different additive package, applications and the FGR has a lower price. They are pretty much interchangeable. Both are recommended for motorcycle final drives.

You can read about the SVG at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx?zo=1181889 and the FGR at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx?zo=1181889 .

·
Registered
373 Posts
I use Genuine Honda Drive oil

If my drive explodes Honda will fix under warrenty as I used their oil

simple
Unless the maker of an automotive or motorcycle product supplies the lubricant to you at no cost, you are free to use whatever brand of product you want without voiding your warranty.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Unless the maker of an automotive or motorcycle product supplies the lubricant to you at no cost, you are free to use whatever brand of product you want without voiding your warranty.
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
They compare very closely. Same base oil, slightly different additive package, applications and the FGR has a lower price. They are pretty much interchangeable. Both are recommended for motorcycle final drives.

You can read about the SVG at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx?zo=1181889 and the FGR at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx?zo=1181889 .
Thank you Tim..............
Not sure how you tolerate the abuse here (or why it's allowed) but my congrats to you for being so civil.
Whether anyone admits it or not, you provide far more technical information than most here can even attempt to contribute.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Not sure how you tolerate the abuse here (or why it's allowed) but my congrats to you for being so civil.
Whether anyone admits it or not, you provide far more technical information than most here can even attempt to contribute.
That's the problem. We prefer anecdotes, testimonials and fourth party hearsay. Owner's manuals and technical facts are for scaredy cats.:lol:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
:agree: :thumbup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
i have had alot of rear gear drive bikes and use what ever i have on the shelf. may have walmart supertech synthetic blend in there now. can't remember. i have a brand new rearend in stock if i need it. bill

·
Registered
883 Posts
Brian,

Learning & gaining information from this board is what it's here for. You obviously use the information from here too.

But, you really are a piece of work........I can't believe you come over to this board to aquire information, then take a shot at Lamont/Hal about how they manage it.

I'm sure if someone went to your board & took a shot at you, you'd delete them.

Sleddog

Sleddog

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for all the information.

The reason for the post; I have a friend that is a distro for the Royal Purple line of products and he hooked me up for life with the 75/90 gear oil. I figured I would use it in the wing, but wanted to get some opinions from the seasoned board members.

Thanks again... :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Not sure how you tolerate the abuse here (or why it's allowed)

It's considered very disrespectful to the members and the administrator on this board by what you said above.

If you don't like it here,no one is holding a gun to your head to stay here!

Maybe it's time for your plug to be pulled here for bashing this boards sponsors/administrators.(as you have in other threads-like the one you deleted).

Bugs the heck out of you that you can't control things here like you do over that other place.But then this isn't your Board now is it!!

Seeing you felt like a little board bashing,lets see if you can take it.:shrug:

FYI:
I saw what you did on your board when I challenged you in a suspension thread..You were going to teach me a lesson huh??.. he he he

What you did went sort of like this---
"Rocky insulted me on the GL1800 riders board,So I'm going to Ban him from my board,I'll even Delete all his posts from my board system too" That will show him who's Boss!!

I got to say,That was pretty childish behavior.:eek:4:

BTW:
That cut me deep man...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts