GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of SAE 80 hypoid gear oil do most of ya"ll use for your 1800 and how often do you change it.
thanks
thomas

·
Registered
627 Posts
What brand of SAE 80 hypoid gear oil do most of ya"ll use for your 1800
thanks
thomas
Honda Brand from my local dealer every 10,000 miles

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I change it on a yearly basic----Begining of every season

SAE 80 hypoid gear oil that I purchase from auto store....

Ronnie

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Change it with every oil change.
5K-
overkill but takes less than 5 minutes and 4 ounces cost pennies

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What brand of SAE 80 hypoid gear oil do most of ya"ll use for your 1800 and how often do you change it.
thanks
thomas
I use Amsoil 75W-90 synthetic & change every year. This is one area I believe synthetic makes sense for even the frugal minded people. Because it only takes a few oz's, buying the 'cheap' stuff will save less than a dollar per change so less than a tank of gas over the life of the bike & since you can safely go longer each change it would be a wash.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I honestly use whatever I have laying around because it doesn't matter anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I change rear drive oil with amsoil severe gear syn every time I change engine oil although the drive oil never looks dirty the magnetic plug is usually full of crud

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a table lift and do most of my own maintenance on the Wing. I change the final drive oil every time I put on a new rear tire. This makes it much more assessable and you don't have to worry about the old oil draining onto your tire and / or rim. Works for me...YMMV.

Have a great day, Phil

·
Registered
305 Posts
Castrol 80W-90 and I change it every OTHER oil change and check it at each oil change. Stays VERY clean too.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Honda says inspect every oil change and change ever 3rd oil change (every 24,000miles).

Doesn't hold much oil, so little cost to change more often.

Be sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE removing the drain plug - an over tightened fill plug will be damaged on removal.

·
Registered
820 Posts
When was you all's first change? I read on here that some suspect that Honda puts some sort of additive in and you should wait on your first change. Not sure if there's any proof of that or a rumor.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The OEM factory fill contains moly content... Honda specifically wants the factory fill left in the rear end till the first change interval: AT 24K !

When was you all's first change? I read on here that some suspect that Honda puts some sort of additive in and you should wait on your first change. Not sure if there's any proof of that or a rumor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts