GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bottle of semi-sythethic gear oil left over from another bike, it's 75w90, meets API GL-4 and GL-5, MT-1 and MIL-L-2105E specs. Being somewhat paranoid about hurting my bike, will this be okay for the final drive?
Thanks, Cliff.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't have my owners manual or service manual in front of me but as long as the oil meets the specifications described in those manuals it will work.

I am assuming in my reply that you are just routinely changing this oil and that this is not an emergency where you need something to get you 500 or fewer miles down the road.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just putting the bike up for the winter although it may be a little early to do that here. The manual just says "Recommended final drive oil Hypoid gear oil, SAE #80" with no specs mentioned. i didn't want to see this oil go to waste.
Cliff.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Finding the exact weight oil has not been easy for me. I use Amsoul 75w90 severe gear synthetic. No issues and have 74k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Honda oil is 80W90 GL-5. Gl specs are very important as they rate the oil for how heavy duty it needs to perform.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I also use the Mobile 75w 90. I have also used the vavoline synthetic blend. It is a little cheaper than the Mobile, but I suppose I feel better with the full synthetic.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
any thoughts on Redline Shockproof Heavy GearOil?

I have a quart up in the cabinet from my HD days (used it in the trans) and would rather NOT throw a 13dollar quart of fluid away....

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8
i would check the label and make sure it is GL -5. Looks like it is for limited slip differentials and that is different spec and I don't know if it is ok for the wing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! Cliff.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've used LUCAS 90 - 140 gear lube with a magnetic drain plug! Every 3,000 to 4,000 miles and it's alway clean.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
My 2010 didn't have a magnetic when I picked it up new? :eek:4:Replaced the engine oil plug also...
Chip :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
My 2010 didn't have a magnetic when I picked it up new? :eek:4:Replaced the engine oil plug also...
Chip :thumbup:
They all have them from Factory, it does not look like the after market ones but it's there, the magnet is recessed into the tip of the bolt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$12.00 here. Cliff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts