GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 02 gl1800. what oil can I use on the final drive. Is it special or can I get it at walmart

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I'v used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic in the Valk since it was new, 99,000 miles on it,
and 53,000 on the Wing, no problems yet.
:thumbup:same here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use 75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube and love it. I put it in at 50 miles on my new wing, it is a good thing too, because when I drained the original oil out, only a trickle came out!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'v used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic in the Valk since it was new, 99,000 miles on it,
and 53,000 on the Wing, no problems yet.

Ditto :agree: Just get the old oil hot before you drain. They ain't much in there either.

·
Registered
596 Posts
"get the oil hot' you say...?:shrug:
I'm not sure final drive oil will get hot.

AG GL
I just try to drain it when I'm doing an oil change. You know ... right after I've taken it for a ride to warm up the oil? ;)

No, it wouldn't get hot like oil, but it's probably best to let it get stirred up well, so as much of the gunk will drain out as possible.

·
Love The DCT
11,384 Posts
"get the oil hot' you say...?:shrug:
I'm not sure final drive oil will get hot.

AG GL
Depends on what your definition of "hot" is. The final drive oil does warm up, especially if your driving long distances at freeway speeds. Never measured it on the 1800, but I've checked the temp of the final drive case on my FJR during the summer after a 100 mile jaunt on the freeway. As I recall, it was right around 130 deg F., hot enough that you couldn't keep your hand on the case.

Yamaha's final drive lube for the FJR was synthetic at a cost of 20 bucks a pint. :doorag:

·
Registered
20,678 Posts
i happen to use 80-90 gear lube from Fleet Farm, got a 2 1/2 gallon jug for free from a retired farmer, change it about every 20,000 smiles and nope in over 300,000 smiles never a final drive problem :thumbup:

the GL1800 final drive does not get as warm as my previous GL1500 final drive did, but even the 1500 final drive did not get what i would call hot

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
You should be able to get 80-90 gear oil or 75W90 synthetic gear oil in any automotive of truck parts/lube location in quart sized packaging. Get yourself a plastic syringe style suction tube and you can easily get oil into the rear end without making a mess.

Be sure you remove the 'fill' before removing the 'drain'. If the 'fill' has been overtightened you will need a new one.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I use the stock Honda lube purchased from Hal. No need to go overboard on this. Change every 20,000 miles just to be safe. Guys that change every oil change aint getting any more miles out of their drives. Actually I notice these are the guys that generally have more failures than the lackluster maintainer guys.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
got a 02 gl1800. what oil can I use on the final drive. Is it special or can I get it at walmart
The Honda GL1800 service manual calls for "Hypoid gear oil, SAE #80". Buy whatever oil you want whereever you wish. As long as it meets the recommended requirement, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
This is exactly what my dealer uses to fill/top off.

Honda is notorious for "short filling" the rear-end at the factory, so expect to add some fluid the first time you check it, or replace more than you drain on the first replacement!

Do not flush the OEM fluid prematurely; go to the recommended mileage interval... has moly in it from the factory that is supposed to stay put for awhile!

:yes1:

Find a pump for the bottle.....makes adding fluid a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic , will stay clean and come out clean after a couple changes to flush the regular dino out.

Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 is all I use.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think I purchased it at a farm store.....but I've seen them at Wally World and auto supply stores. FYI...I remove the metal gizmo on the end and put the tube in the rear drive and then stick the gizmo back on when finished to prevent oil from running all over.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The easiest way to service the rear drive and put oil in the drive I have found to be a simple oil squirt can. One with a long flexible spout. That way you just stick the spout in the hole, fill it up and you are done. No mess , no fuss.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts