GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
large animal syringe from the vet with a piece of tubing, about.50 cents or free, if you ask nice!
Usually available at our local farm supply as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You can get the pump thats pictured from Walmart. It's usually in the area with the marine oils. It turns a messy, frustrating job into a clean and easy 5 minute job, considering I let the rear end drain for about three minutes while I clean the drain plug magnet.

·
Banned
291 Posts
So if I check the final drive in my just purchased '10 ABS that has 150 mi. on the clock and has been setting for most of a year and find it to be low, do I top it off with Mobil 1 syn (that's what I intend to run in it for the long haul), or drain it and do a fresh fill? Is it true the factory fill has special additives that need to be left in the drive until completely broken in?

Doug

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'd just top it for now, but it takes about 2 changes to flush the old out
so I would change it every oil change for for 2 or 3 then every other oil change.
now I only go about 3K on an oil change, and a bottle with do about 3 or 4 changes to the rear hub

·
Registered
576 Posts
Most important thing

No one mentioned that the GL5 rating has to be on whatever is used. I'm sure that most of the recommended ones here have it so it's a "not to worry" thing. WalMart use to sell Pennzoil Marine synthetic lower unit gear lube. At $7 a quart it was a great product and easy to find. They dropped it from their shelves lately.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic , will stay clean and come out clean after a couple changes to flush the regular dino out.

Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 is all I use.
:agree: :thumbup:

S

·
0 Posts
hmmm - 107k - yes I believe I will change the fluid as long as it's still snowing. Kind of a once in a life time deal.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts