GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to checking the final drive oil on my gold
06. Sure enough - it is low. I'll visit my friendly Honda dealer
tomorrow to buy oil. How do you get the oil in that filler hole?
It is horizonal and hard to get to. Help!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Get a gear lube pump,they sell 'em at most auto parts stores.The final drive only holds around 4 oz. or so and should be filled to lower edge of the fill hole with bike on the centerstand.I use synthetic gear lube myself and have since the 1st oil change on my '04........only takes an extra few minutes to drain the final drive oil when doing the engine oil & filter change. 8)

G

·
As Red says, just a plain Jane pump oil can with a rigid spout on it. Get one at any auto parts store for $1.49.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Its better to check it hot after it has set for about 10 mins on center stand and do not turn the wheel. Do not over fill or it will blow out the vent.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. That is what I needed. I checked it when it was stone
cold - maybe I don't even need to add. See Ya down the road.

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
and it does not hold much. ONly about 4 fl oz from the drained conditon to the full condition.

prs

·
Registered
292 Posts
CMABob said:
I finally got around to checking the final drive oil on my gold
06. Sure enough - it is low. I'll visit my friendly Honda dealer
tomorrow to buy oil. How do you get the oil in that filler hole?
It is horizonal and hard to get to. Help!

I keep a turkey baster in the shop for just such a job :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
Its better to check it hot after it has set for about 10 mins on center stand and do not turn the wheel. Do not over fill or it will blow out the vent.
When you change the oil you fill it to the bottom of the hole with cold fluid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Help on Final Drive Oil

I have difficulty in seeing the oil level to check it. Used a flashlight, but still couldn't tell where it should be. Can you fill until it comes out of the hole, or is that not a good way to check? Advice please.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Synthetic gear lube

I've used Pennzoil Marine synthetic 75Wx90 on my Valk and the Wing for 5 years. Valk has 104K on her with no problems. Thanks for the flex tip oil can idea. I use the tubing/bottle turned up method. Always a bit messy. Wal Mart has the Pennz lube.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I use a short (12 inch) piece of vacuum tubing. Slide it over the cone top on the final drive oil bottle after you snip off about 1/4 inch or so (remove the silver cover from the bottle first). You just squeeze and fill it till it just starts to come out of the inspection / fill hole. Not a problem. I've also reused the crush washer twice so far with no leaks.

good luck!

Daveo

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I use a short (12 inch) piece of vacuum tubing. Slide it over the cone top on the final drive oil bottle after you snip off about 1/4 inch or so (remove the silver cover from the bottle first). You just squeeze and fill it till it just starts to come out of the inspection / fill hole. Not a problem. I've also reused the crush washer twice so far with no leaks.

good luck!

Daveo
:agree:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts