GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I put a 2006 final drive on my 01 with no problem this past winter. Needed a new brake rotor, so just changed the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have a FD from an 06 on my 02...

·
Registered
337 Posts
No problem at all, you can use the final drive from newer Wings easily up to 06-07. Only mod required is very minor. There is a small metal mounting bracket that secures the brake hose to the final drive by a single bolt. That bolt hole will need to be threaded with a tap and die kit, no big deal, takes 10 minutes to do. Also, if you were considering changing the driveshaft as well, 2006 (?) and newer Wings use a shaft that is longer/shorter... wont fit. Otherwise, easy and worth doing... did it on my '01 last year and kept my original as a spare......

·
Registered
21,061 Posts
at 198,000 a 07 final drive was installed in my 02 wing, its been working fine for 132,000 smiles :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
at 198,000 a 07 final drive was installed in my 02 wing, its been working fine for 132,000 smiles :thumbup:
So now you have 330,000 on your bike?
That's great.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have posted this many times........

Final drives are all the same... this 08 fit my 02 just fine... you can see the brake hose clamp that was already mentioned. I left the 08 brake hose holder on since I'm looking for the longer 08 brake hoses.

What is different is the drive shafts......
The drive shaft part numbers for a GL1800 2001 through 2005 are;

40200-MCA-000
40200-MCA-010

Drive shaft length for the GL1800 2001 through 2005 is;

49cm or 19 5/16 inches.

The drive shaft part numbers for a GL1800 2006 through 2008 is;
40200-MCA-A60

Drive shaft length for the GL1800 2006 through 2008 is;

51.5cm or 20 1/4 inches.

In this photo the top drive line is from a 2008 GL1800 that was triked.
The bottom drive line is the one I ordered from HDL for my 2002.
These drive lines are identical until you get past the u-joint.

I might also mention that there seems to be a difference in swing arms as well. But I have not been able to figure out why yet. I've not had to remove my 02 swing arm. I suspect it has more to do with the engine then anything else.
2001 Swing Arm is Part Number 52100-MCA-000
2002 & 2003 Swing Arm Part Number is 52100-MCA-780
2004 through 2008 Swing Arm Part Number is 52100-MCA-A20

And this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost
Thanks everybody. Larry, in regard to your photo of the two drive shafts, specifically the longer sleeve on the newer everion; did you notice if the drive splines inside that longer shaft were cut end to end. That is, would it be as simple as having the extra length cut off of the newer version? prs

I never checked before, so I dug them out of the box and took a look. From this photo you can see that the splines are recessed a bit, a little over 1/8th of an inch.

In the following photo take note of the dark sections on each drive line. That is the discoloration from machining the splines and marks the location of the splines. Notice the top drive line from my 02 Wing. The spline section is very short. The lower drive line is from an 08 Wing. While there is more spline, it is mostly in the section that would have to be cut off to match an early Wing. It appears you would wind up with about 1/3 less spline length then an early model wing. So in my opinion it would not be a wise thing to try....

I also measured the long portions of the two drive lines, something I didn't take note of before. There is a 1/8th inch difference between the two. The 02 drive line long section is 15 5/16th inches. The 08 drive line long section is 15 3/16ths inches. Probably doesn't mean much, but it was something that I noticed this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle
Re price, I bought brand new 08 rear end with brake disc at buy it now price of $200 plus shipping of $40. Some have picked them up for less. Seems like the drive shaft has few reported failures compared to rear end so may not be worth while to stock up on drive shaft until you actually need one if ever. Might be better idea to pull original drive shaft and inspect/lube splines rather than buying a spare.

True, most folks are replacing the final drive as a preventive measure. It just makes sense to do both while you're in there. There are many points of failure concerning the the Wing drive shaft. The obvious and most often part is the U-joint. However, failures have also occurred within the long portion of the drive shaft. It is a tube within a tube bound together with a rubber sleeve most of its length. The splines themselves can also fail. The big plus for late model wing owners is they can score the final drive and drive shaft and do both with little outlay in cash. Those of us with the older model wings using the shorter shaft don't get to use those drive shafts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
With the bike on the center stand, I started it up and put it in gear and got my ear down right by the final drive. What should I hear? What should'nt I hear? I could hear things turning and to me sounded like mechanical parts doing their thing. No grinding or loud clunks, just parts moving. Is this normal or should this be whisper quiet? Only 16,000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts