GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008/80,000 mile bike has recently been giving me a symptom of a "nano second" of loss of drive but never lasting but half a second. Just started this in the last 200 miles of riding with fresh gear oil. I decide to change out the final drive oil and take a look.

After changing the final drive oil, I decided to start the bike up and just listen to the system work. The bike is on a lift with rear tire on and in first gear and at idle speed. I was absolutely shocked at the sound/racket I heard coming from the final drive. It sounded like something was "loose and running around in there". It was not a smooth rotation of internal parts that I was expecting! 2nd gear was even worse so quickly I shut it down!
I cannot imaging the racket I heard being normal but someone please tell me it is! If it's not normal what the heck could be going on in there?

Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
"Final drive "rattle"...Normal?"

Probably ... don't test them that way ... you are stressing the drive shaft and hearing the results of doing so. Here is what I look for:
- any metal chips on the magnet ???
- any final drive fluid leaks ???
- a better way to test the final drive ... key off, on center stand, in "N", and separate the pads from the rear rotor, so that they are not touching the rotor. Now spin the rear tire by hand. Any grown, howl, or moan ???
- grab the bottom of the rear wheel and push it inboard, then pull it outboard ... in and out. Do you feel free-play ???

Before you ride again, be sure to apply the rear brake peddle to push the pads back out.

Once the above is done ... sorry to be the one to tell you, but your symptom ... "a 'nano second' of loss of drive but never lasting but half a second" does not sound like a final drive issue.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Follow Greg's recommendation. Also go to the auto parts store and pick up a mechanics stethoscope. They are like $10 or less. With the mechanics stethoscope one can isolate noises far more precisely.
I also listen to the alternator and other items to have an idea what sounds normal. If I hear something strange later, I can better recognize it with this tool and from past listening.
Sounds the same... no problem. Sounds different... time to investigate further.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
The very brief "slip" symptom is typical of the beginning of breakdown of the rubber drive shaft cush drive. I have run my 2002 on occasion in gear while on center stand and never noticed any roughness or noise until it had about 100,000 miles on it and the final and shaft were both replaced with trike take off.

prs

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Slip/grab sounds like the rubber portion of drive shaft.
Noise could be from the universal joint.

Time to check out the driveshaft.

Fwiw, the drive shaft angle will be 'worse' than normal when the bike is on the centre stand.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
+1 on the universal joint. As Corventure Dave knows, I just blew my drive shaft on my 2008 at 75,000 miles. Quite a rattle... yours may be the same...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
My 2008/80,000 mile bike has recently been giving me a symptom of a "nano second" of loss of drive but never lasting but half a second. Just started this in the last 200 miles of riding with fresh gear oil. I decide to change out the final drive oil and take a look.

After changing the final drive oil, I decided to start the bike up and just listen to the system work. The bike is on a lift with rear tire on and in first gear and at idle speed. I was absolutely shocked at the sound/racket I heard coming from the final drive. It sounded like something was "loose and running around in there". It was not a smooth rotation of internal parts that I was expecting! 2nd gear was even worse so quickly I shut it down!
I cannot imaging the racket I heard being normal but someone please tell me it is! If it's not normal what the heck could be going on in there?

Thank you for your thoughts.
All of them make bad sounds when free wheeling under power on the center stand. The wheel is unloaded and this racket is normal. Like has been mentioned, the slight slip you are feeling could be the rubber bond coming loose. You need someone else to feel the u-joint through the rubber boot as you let the clutch out with the rear brake on hard enough to not let the wheel move. If they feel the joint turn and the wheel is stationary, this would indicate the bond is slipping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your response s! I’ll checkout the rubber boot and if all good then I’ll ride on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
If you do need a rear drive shave I have an excellent one for you in my garage, (this is from my 2010 bike 2 trike take off) low priced ok?? EXCELLENT CONDITION/ZERO PROBLEMS

Ronnie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Techdude, can you give me more on where this rubber cushioning is located in the driveshaft that provides dampening? In the knuckle itself? And how best to get to it to see it. I'm suspecting mine is causing some slipping now and then as if "the clutch is slipping" but it feels to be below and behind me. But not all the time! Maybe once for a second per ride of 30 miles or so.
Also, I have read of someone changing out a driveshaft in about an hour while bike is on center stand. Is this really possible. The service manual shows a humongous amount work to accomplish this!
BTW, I do appreciate everyone's responses!
Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Also, I have read of someone changing out a driveshaft in about an hour while bike is on center stand. Is this really possible. The service manual shows a humongous amount work to accomplish this!
BTW, I do appreciate everyone's responses!
Thanks in advance!
I can do it in 10mins ... LOL.

I'm not able to pull a rear wheel, a right muffles, rear brake caliper, bracket, final drive, and drive shaft in 1 hours and reassemble it all. Apparently Honda does not think so either. If it was warranty, Honda would pay the shop 2.7 hrs of their warranty labor rate. If it were customer pay, a customer would likely be charges 4.05 hrs customer pay labor.

From post #2 "Once the above is done ... sorry to be the one to tell you, but your symptom ... a 'nano second' of loss of drive but never lasting but half a second' does not sound like a final drive issue."

Also, I doubt your issue is a drive shaft.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Greg, I'll keep riding and maybe something will come to mind!
Allen

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greg...No growling...smooth. No "in and out" play!

What if I said it felt as if I QUICKLY let off the throttle and then back on but did not!
Your thoughts now? I know you are going to think I'M crazy but something is definitely causing a moment of loss of power with no movement in throttle. It really only happens every now an then... not predictable.
Thanks again,
Allen

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I wonder if you are describing a momentary laps of power/engine output, that seems to feel like final drive/drive shaft slip? Just experiencing all the backlash in the drive line during the power loss? I think more test riding is in order. Try each of the coasts, just kidding of course, but ride more to isolate the symptoms a little better.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I ran my 2005 one time on the center stand, it had low miles, 5K, it sounded like there were marbles in the transmission and final drive. Didn't do that again.:smile2:
I really didn't understand what was going on until I saw a engine torn apart. The trans gears look like they belong in a John Deere tractor, they are huge.
You need a load on the driveline to function properly.:smile2:
Yes the noise is "normal".:serious:

The slip is normal too for that type of driveline.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GL...that’s exactly what I have decided to do! Headed down to Traxxion D. next week for some fork work...6 hours down and 8 hours back. That should get it’s attention and make it “raise it’s head”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
GL...that’s exactly what I have decided to do! Headed down to Traxxion D. next week for some fork work...6 hours down and 8 hours back. That should get it’s attention and make it “raise it’s head”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Attaboy, go get ‘em. Maybe think about some Techron if it does end up being a hiccup in the engine. Or a spark plug. But go play/test :)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Kinda beginning to sound like a transmission issue. Some folks have reported the slipping feels like riding on wet leaves, rebuilding the transmission made the issue go away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts