GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
I enjoy these threads with pictures more so just to see what crap people have in their garage and/or workshop... :p
[PROBLEM IS LOTS OF $$$ IN ALL THAT CRAP ! :giggle:

·
Registered
837 Posts
As for FB ... I was invited and chose to accept the invitation. I help riders there too.

As for you disagreeing ... most will know that it is simple physics, and hopefully it is ok if we disagree. Sometimes it takes very little leverage to see a lot of change. A good example are tapered steering head bearings on 5th gen trikes. When easy-steer is added with a 4.5 degree different in the fork rake, new bearings begin to notch out at 12,000 miles. The same bearings without easy-steer and bearing life is at least twice as long.

I absolutely agree that's it's ok to disagree. It's all about an exchange of ideas and learning. I will say that this a complex dynamic physics equation and opinions should not be stated as fact.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I applaud anyone that will join a group that disagrees with their current beliefs.

America has the opposite problem, where people fine-tune their news feed and social media to only be exposed to opinions they agree with.

As for darkside tires causing accelerated wear on a final drive, I cannot comment from personal experience.

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
I ran standard motorcycle tires on my 2006 Wing for the first 30,000 miles at which time I began using car tires. At 80,000 miles I began pulling my Tailwind trailer 100% of the time. During this time all my maintenances services were at the local Honda Powersports dealer and were done by the book. My final drive completely failed at 119,000 miles and was replaced under warranty with a trike takeoff at the Honda dealer. The Service Manager did have me replace the car tire with a motorcycle tire before he would ask the factory rep for a warranty repair. This was no biggie for I had one on a spare rim.

I sold that motorcycle with about 319,600 miles on it. The final drive had 200,000 miles on that bike, in addition to however many miles it had on it during its’ former life. Every single one of those 200,000 miles was rolling on a car tire pulling a trailer.

I maintain that no generalization can be made about car tires versus motorcycle tires and final drive failures. Let's keep this discussion focus on final drives. The OP did a great job with the pictures, BTW!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I finally found some time to swap out the final drive on my 2010 wing with 142k on the clock. Not that it's gone south but just because I have a new 0 miles 2012 trikeoff final drive sitting on the shelf since 2012 that I got on ebay from honda of Russellville, Arkansas back in 2012. I also picked up a new drive shaft on ebay as well. So the process was pretty easy and went smooth about 2 hours or so. I never hit a snag or busted a knuckle. I checked over the old drive shaft and if I didn't know better, I'd think it was new but I replaced it with the new one anyway. Now I'm waiting on spring to do a shakedown run.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing your project and photos. It's interesting to see the individual related parts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I see a CT, is that yours ??? The reason I ask is that there is a FB page I hang out on where most run CTs on 5th gens, and collectively they report an unusual amount of final drive failure rate. Over here of coarse there are expected failures, but over there, with a much smaller following, sometimes in a 1 month period there can be 3.
Hmmm, what FB page or group are you seeing all of these final drive failures by those running the darkside? I am a member of quite a few FB Goldwing pages and have not seen any reported final drive failures due to the darkside? Just curious as to why I have not seen such a high number of reported failures.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Final drive failed on my '05 at 91,000 miles. The metal spacer that holds the balls in place on the big bearing broke and took out the seal. Bearing looked very good other than that.

·
Registered
897 Posts
And then some of us buy a new final drive that has been modified to change the gearing -
This has been theorized to place more stress on the transmission while lowering the overall gearing
And THAT was done to a relatively new 62K final drive while having a zero mile replacement on the shelf
Sometimes my boredom during Covid quarantine cost me money for stupid stuff.. ;)

Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Almost 30 posts and I don't think anyone has called it a differential. This is outstanding.

Nice post @wingd1800 and a job well done. Many happy miles. Maybe don't throw out that old final drive. Just in case! ;)

I can't remember seeing the top of the differential final drive before. Why is there that fill pipe looking thing?

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Almost 30 posts and I don't think anyone has called it a differential. This is outstanding.

Nice post @wingd1800 and a job well done. Many happy miles. Maybe don't throw out that old final drive. Just in case! ;)

I can't remember seeing the top of the differential final drive before. Why is there that fill pipe looking thing?
That's a vent.

Reactions: Big_Bird
21 - 30 of 30 Posts