GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread just to keep things neat.

I decided to R&R the final drive seal. I'm to the side flange but don't know how to remove it. Has anyone wrenched this off before?

The service manual isn't much help - it says to remove it but not how and doesn't appear to list any removal tools.

The parts manual shows the flange and two dowel pins, but the pins are shown loose and I don't know if they are pressed in to the flange or the gear set hub or neither of them.

Interestingly, one of the flange screws was loose. The only thing holding it in was the brake rotor keeping it from rotating out any further. Could be the reason the seal failed, although there's no wiggle to the flange with both screws removed.

Any help appreciated.

Denny

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
The first step is to drain the final drive, then check the back lash through the fill hole. Has that been done yet ???

Do you have a Honda Service Manual ??? It has instructions to remove.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first step is to drain the final drive, then check the back lash through the fill hole. Has that been done yet ???

Do you have a Honda Service Manual ??? It has instructions to remove.

I don't understand why would I need to check backlash for a seal problem?

I have both the service manual and parts manual for 2005. Mine does not describe HOW to remove the flange, it just says to remove it.

If your manual describes the removal process, please let me know.

Thanks,
Denny

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Mine does not describe HOW to remove the flange, it just says to remove it.

If your manual describes the removal process, please let me know.

Thanks,
Denny
It's been years since I've disassembled a final drive. But if I remember correctly, those holes in the picture below are threaded. To remove the outer flange, install some long threaded bolts into those holes and continue turning them evenly once they bottom out. The flange should begin to separate from the case-cover assy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been years since I've disassembled a final drive. But if I remember correctly, those holes in the picture below are threaded. To remove the outer flange, install some long threaded bolts into those holes and continue turning them evenly once they bottom out. The flange should begin to separate from the case-cover assy.

Good thinking, thanks. I'll try that.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a 2010 final drive with 40k miles on ebay for $119 shipped, so I bought it.

If I ever get the flange off I'll post what it took.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

The Wanderer

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You da man! The longer screws thru the rotor mounting holes pushed the flange off easily. There are a lot of tight fit diameters, dowels and studs that keep it in place and all that stuff just makes it difficult to get off.

Unfortunately, what I found underneath is ugly. It appears the bearing suffered a failure - don't know why, maybe just age because I serviced it more often than the maintenance schedule. The bearing cage started to disintegrate and several balls are missing and apparently somewhere inside the case. This debris then tore up the seal. It would take a total tear down, and probably every rotating part, including the gears, would need replaced.

So I just receive the used drive and it appears to be in good shape.

If anyone has any tips to installing one of these, I'm all ears.

Thanks again,
Denny

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Unfortunately, what I found underneath is ugly. It appears the bearing suffered a failure - don't know why, maybe just age because I serviced it more often than the maintenance schedule.
Like use humans, all parts come with their own personal "DNA chain" that tells them when to start failing. What you found is nothing more than a final drive that lived a long life and finally died. If you did things like pull a trailer, you killed it quicker. At times I too pull one and am sure mine is failing like yours.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That failure is what my 05 had with 87,000 miles. The bearing cage failed and cut the seal out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts