GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

Usually my final drive doesn't use any oil between changes (every other year). This time, it had gotten quite low (about 25K miles, as usual). I use synthetic.

Is this a sign that something may not be right? Miles per gallon are fine and I don't hear any unusual noises.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Where is the oil going, can you see a leak?

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
I have seen high mileage wings with no final drive oil usuage. If using some it has to have a leak

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Most likely leaking around the drive seal. There is only like 4 ounces of gear oil in there when full.

So a small leak can leak into the swing arm and you would never notice it.

Fill er up and run it. If the rear drive fails, replace it with a trike take off. A small leak in two years is not a big deal.

I would replace the final drive, but that is me, I am very picky with my bike.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

No visible leakage. I'll check it again in a thousand miles and see how much she's using.

My main concern is having the final drive fail a thousand miles from home. I take it I should order a trike take-off now!

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hi,

No visible leakage. I'll check it again in a thousand miles and see how much she's using.

My main concern is having the final drive fail a thousand miles from home. I take it I should order a trike take-off now!

Thanks,

Rick
Like I say, I myself would change it. But that is me.

In real life the rear drive leaking around the shaft seal a bit is simply a leak. As long as there is gear oil in there, no damage to the drive will result.

A rear drive will also give indications it is going to fail long before it does. It will make noise and tell you it is about to fail.

Or you can pull it and replace the shaft seal, not unusual for it to be messed up from the factory. It has happened before.

Someone has photos of this, they will be along with them soon.

Thing is you can get a brand new rear drive for under 200 bucks. No more work to just bolt that on than to repair.

A trip to a shop to replace that seal could run much more.

Rear drives are very available and no big deal to install.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
If it has lost oil it IS leaking. If you do not see and smell the leak (that stuff stinks) then you know where to look, the lost oil is in the swing arm hollow just ahead of the propeller shaft to final drive coupling. Like kit said, it does not have to lose very much to fall well below the over flow hole. There used to be pics on this board of front seals of the final where it is obvious the seal was installed with edges pinched, yet teh lead developed much later. Or, maybe last fill was done with some air trapped in the lower case.

Mine was leaking last spring and the evidence was a fluffly/stinky brake and road dust coating adhering to the left side and bottom of the case, but no "wet" lube. The level was down slightly. The culprit turned-out to be a seep around the drain bung eventhough the infamous crush wassher was new and the bolt tight; the only instance I can recall where a crush washer has let me down. New washer and refill and has been clean and dry since.

prs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts