GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these both the same thing with a different name?

I checked with 2 Honda dealerships and both said that there are no magnetic drain plugs in the rear differential...just plain drain plugs for the GL 1800's....it's the 1500's that have the magnetic drain plugs....I'm confused??

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you have a GW you have what may be termed as a differential because it has an internal gear set. A true differential is like that on your car or truck that when on a turn will allow the outside wheel to turn at a faster speed than the inside wheel. Allowing a differential in wheel speeds.

In the case of a motorcycle, the final drive was taken from the existance of a primary drive. Very simply put, a primary drive is a chain drive between the engine crankshaft and the transmission input shaft. The final drive is the chain (belt or shaft/gear) drive between the transmission output shaft and the rear wheel.

Final drive is more universal as it applies to chain, belt or shaft drive. Differential is more specific to a shaft drive that has a ring and pinion gear set in the rear drive housing.

It's all very technical and yet it is not.

As long as you don't refer to a chain or belt drive as a differential drive you should survive without being flamed.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I almost missed your last half of your message.

www.cgenterprises.com is where I have gotten my magnetic drain plugs. I don't know about the rear drive plug. If you are your own routine maintenance mechanic, you might look at it while changing the lube. If it's not magnetic, you can order one.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
cowhidecovers said:
Are these both the same thing with a different name?

I checked with 2 Honda dealerships and both said that there are no magnetic drain plugs in the rear differential...just plain drain plugs for the GL 1800's....it's the 1500's that have the magnetic drain plugs....I'm confused??
Hey don't worry about it. It's just a dreaded "automotive" term thats a crossover and not as accepted in motoworld as final drive. :roll: But Richards definition is pretty on par for the differential. Everyone know what they both mean, it's not a big deal. The magnetic plugs sound like a good idea, I've never checked mine to see if they're magnetic. Terry

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Actually, final drives are final drives and differentials are differentials. Some equipment have final drives for each driven wheel after their differentials. Our motorcycles having only one tire and no prospect of having any "diccerence" in drive ratio between the driven wheels (snce we only have one driven wheel) are not equipped with differentials. We do, however, have magnetic drain plugs in our GL1800s.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts