GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some wing owners have commented in the past that it would be nice to have 1 sixth gear, or a higher gear ratio in the final drive.

On my VTX 1800, I was able to achieve this by swapping out the final drive from a VTX 1300.

So I was wondering if anyone had every looked into whethr or not the Rune final was a higher ratio, and the feasibility of swapping it out?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Would a final drive from a VTX 1300 fit into a Goldwing?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It seems to me that its a matter of torque which the goldwing has plenty of. I think some may just be used to shifting into 5th or 6th and having it lug along. This is not the case with the wing, it always pulls like a locamotive but is certainly not being overworked. I like it as is.
I rode all my other bikes keeping the engine in the high rev zone all the time so I guess I'm just used to that. I'm sure if Honda thought the big 1800 6cyl needed a 6th gear it would have one.

Steve

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think if you start changing gear ratios you would present another issue....being the Wing is operated by a computer...the changing of the gears would change how the bike runs...speedo etc...unless there is a way of changing the parameters in the computer, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth! JMHO

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts