GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guy replaced his final drive last October, now this one is probably bad too. It's very noisy when the rear tires turns while on a center stand. Although I've alerted him to it, he's not give'n the OK to spread, or remove the pads to recheck for noise, or to pull the drain plug to check for metal. Because a car tires' profile is much different than a m/c tire, I'm sure CTs cause final drives to wear out their radial bearings quicker.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nope ct doesn't have that much to do with it.... What part of the drive failed?? I have replaced two on my bike with the two large bearing being the problem.
I have replace one on a bike that was a MT when the bike was new... also the two large bearing went bad. A Third bike was the pinion bearing.. When the two larger bearing for the ring gear give out I believe the bearing bore was to small.. I also change the oil to Red Line and haven't had any problems..

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I also change the oil to Red Line and haven't had any problems..
Got a link for that by any chance?
Usually replace mine every other oil change and it's 'bout due, TIA!

(think I'll refrain from investing my 2¢ worth in the whole "CTs cause final drives to wear out" conflagration:wink2:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts