GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper procedure for draining and refilling the final gear oil on my 2007 Wing?

1. Do I need to ride the bike to get the final gear oil warmed up before draining?
2. Do I need to use a pump to refill the final gear oil or can I simply pour it straight from the bottle?

I know this is rather routine/basic maintanence, but I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just did mine on my 01 and I don't know about driving it to "warm it up" as you will be working very close to the exhaust pipe and the few drops left from doing it cold probably won't matter. A burn on your arm is a different story.

I refilled it from a full bottle of Lucas gear lube and so no pump or tricky funnel was required. I just kind of squeezed it until it was full. Your results may differ, but as I remember it only takes 3 or 4 oz so putting that amount in another container, like a small paper cup, that will fit in between the saddle bag and the wheel would be a 3rd option.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What is the proper procedure for draining and refilling the final gear oil on my 2007 Wing?

1. Do I need to ride the bike to get the final gear oil warmed up before draining?
2. Do I need to use a pump to refill the final gear oil or can I simply pour it straight from the bottle?

I know this is rather routine/basic maintanence, but I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.
Question 1 Yes
I use a clear plastic tube. & put it down by the top of the saddle
bag & use a sm. funnel in the top to pour the gear oil into.
I cut the tube at a angle so it fits into the opening of the final drive.
Hope this helps.
Some use a oil can with a flex top to pump the oil in.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Gear Lube

Be sure to use a gear lube with the GL5 rating. I use Pennzoil Marine synthetic lube. Wal mart has it for around $7/qt.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
From the service manual:

Remove the oil filler cap and drain bolt from the
final gear case, slowly turn the rear wheel and drain
the oil.
After the oil is completely drained, install the drain
bolt with a new sealing washer and tighten it.
Fill the final gear case with the recommended oil to
the correct level.

This level is even with the bottom of the fill hole threads.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rear Drive Oil

Put up on center stand unbolt the upper and lower bolts drain. Replace the lower bolt don't over tighten. Us a oil can with a long spout and fill until it starts to come out replace upper bolt and don't over tighten all done.

Sonney

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Warm oil pours better. put the bike on the center stand to drain, the side stand to refill. Get an old time oil can, the kind that has a trigger on it (with a flexible spout) to refill. When you tighten the top oil cap DON'T torque it down with great force (it will break), just make it snug. The lower drain plug uses a crushable washer, finger tight plus a 1/8 turn with a wrench should do.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Warm oil pours better. put the bike on the center stand to drain, the side stand to refill. Get an old time oil can, the kind that has a trigger on it (with a flexible spout) to refill. When you tighten the top oil cap DON'T torque it down with great force (it will break), just make it snug. The lower drain plug uses a crushable washer, finger tight plus a 1/8 turn with a wrench should do.
+1 that's the way I do it. I have a 6 oz oil pump can and it works like a charm.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I'm sure warm lube drains more quickly but I don't always do it that way.
After you pull the plugs and let it drain I spin the rear wheel a few times and it spits out a little more. As I fill it I again spin the rear wheel to burp any possible trapped pockets of air. Necessary, who knows, probably not. You can refill it with either a lube pump, an old school oil squirt can, or even just a length of tubing connected to the lube container.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
What is your reference for filling on the side stand?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just replaced mine last weekend. I decided to spend $7.00 on a lube pump and it worked great!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I find that the best way to refill it is to get some of large disposable hypodermic veterinary needles from "tsc" . They are easy to fill are well marked as to volume, and if you get the right size they fit easily to access the refill hole. No mess, no fuss, takes not time.

Safe riding

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Put on center stand and drain. I put a piece of tubing on the top of the fluid container and run that into the filler hole, easy to move to the right spot. I change mine every other oil change

·
Registered
501 Posts
Finial Drive Oil

On page 4-20 of the service manual it tells you to put it up on the center stand. It also says to make sure that it is on a level surface. And also to coat the o-ring with oil before putting it back in.

Sonney

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What is your reference for filling on the side stand?
Holds a little more oil. I like the Idea (from Teaser 1) of rotating the rear wheel to drain more oil and burp out the air.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Put on center stand and drain. I put a piece of tubing on the top of the fluid container and run that into the filler hole, easy to move to the right spot. I change mine every other oil change
Me too. Over kill, but it's so easy and cheap to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts