GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a meeting last night that was put on by the largest motorcycle parts distributor.

Tires were a hot topic and after talking to a lot of people the reason that Dunlop tires have been in short supply for the replacement market is pretty basic. It seems that Dunlop has been working without a contract with its workers for quite some time. And Dunlop/Goodyear knew that the strike would happen eventually. And to protect the contracts that Dunlop has with the bike manufacturers Dunlop has been stockpiling tires and only releasing a few to the replacement market.

And everyone agreed that it will get worse before it gets better due to the strike that started yesterday.

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Which means the tires will be old and dry rotted by the time they end up on some of the new bikes. Yikes.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Well, that sheds a little light on the problem for sure. I hope that the other manufactures don't end up in the same boat as Dunlop, because of high demand for their tires.
Obviously, this just may make loyal Dunlop customers search out others brands and they may never come back to them.
Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Sure glad my scooter takes Pirellis. No shortage there.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
624 Posts
LarryM said:
Which means the tires will be old and dry rotted by the time they end up on some of the new bikes. Yikes.
I don't know about dry rotted, but I'm curious if they date stamp them when they make them or when they ship them from the factory. Surely, post dating them would be illegal, immoral, or at least unethical.

If they settle this strike in a timely manner, we might be getting this new-old stock as replacements for the next year or so. :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
"Obviously, this just may make loyal Dunlop customers search out others brands and they may never come back to them.
Thanks for keeping us all in the loop."

Put me on that list...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Makes no sense to me. Why would them stockpiling 250's cause a shortage of E3's.

I believe that's what they told you, but how could that be?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I put Metzeler tires on mine and I'll stick with them. So fare they have been great 3000 miles.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ytownmac said:
Makes no sense to me. Why would them stockpiling 250's cause a shortage of E3's.

I believe that's what they told you, but how could that be?
If they have their machines making 250's and Harley 402's and on and on and on full time then they can't be making E-3's.

Dunlop's contractul commitment to the bike manufacturers is what they have to worry about.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Hal,

thanks for the update.

When I learned of the labor problem from your earlier post , I knew what was up.

again thanks for keeping the group updated.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cycledude said:
sounds like another bunch of hot air from the distributor
You are 100% right. And the newspapers are in on this too. Somebody bribed them to say that Dunlop is on strike.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
cycledude said:
sounds like another bunch of hot air from the distributor
You are 100% right. And the newspapers are in on this too. SSomeobody bribed them to say that Dunlop is on strike.
And don't forget........they will be released a week before the election!
JU

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hal,

Thanks for the post.

Most on the board will read it and be informed.

Some will believe what they want and cry foul, conspiracy, plot, fraud etc.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the effort to inform the masses?

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
luckyman said:
I don't know about dry rotted, but I'm curious if they date stamp them when they make them or when they ship them from the factory. Surely, post dating them would be illegal, immoral, or at least unethical.
The date stamp is molded into the sidewall at the time of manufacture. Show wekk of year and year made.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Bulldog said:
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the effort to inform the masses?
At my work, they balk at giving programmers screwdrivers. At home I wonder if I should run with scizzors. Dawg wonders if armed with information we will become dangerous.

Steve Irwin wonders if that Stingray is getting to close ...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts