GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that about a week ago I attempted a SS2000 Gold ride, but rolled to a stop when the after-market alternator on my Goldwing failed west of Houston. I called my friend Yoda, who retrieved me and took me home.

My 2006 Wing was only a tank of gas short of 320,000 miles when it left me stranded. In all these 13 years and many miles it has only left me stranded twice with alternator failures, once with a failed final drive, and once with a broken throttle cable. I think that this track record is impeccable, and the engine was still running strong. It was tempting to fix the alternator again and continue riding the high-mileage 2006 for it has been so good to me.

However, I like to ride long distance, and I’m usually alone, so I decided to treat myself to a new motorcycle. I considered the new DCT Wings but I can't afford to run with the big dogs. Besides, I love the old style 1832's!. I now own a low mileage (44,000 miles) Level 4 Airbag model 2012 Goldwing. Many of you know Len Ellis from the San Antonio area. Len finally decided to sell his bike for health reasons, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I am truly sorry that Len can no longer ride, but I am honored that he allowed me to buy his bike.

This motorcycle is custom-tailored for me! It has everything I would have wanted, and then some! It is a Level 4, so has all the Honda options including ABS and Airbag, and also has the Honda CB radio. Len added Traxxion suspension, Centramatic wheel balancers, a Rivco trailer hitch wired for a Tailwind plug, ****-O-Pegs, and a Windbender electric windshield. It also has the Honda OEM spoiler with EC lights, and Transformer passenger boards. Len likes a little bling, so added a whole slew of LED multi-color circus lights that create a light show that will make Ssncob envious. There are many, many more farkles that I am still finding. Suffice to say, the bike is loaded!

I will swap out the shorter Windbender shield and farkel shelf from my old Wing to the new one, along with everything associated with my auxiliary gas tank.

A bonus for buying Len’s bike is the lifetime service contract. Well, almost, anyway. I told Len that his bike was used to his meticulous maintenance and I wanted to keep that custom going. Len agreed to supervise my maintenance efforts on this Goldwing any time I need a little hand-holding. Those who know Len know that he is a highly sought-after source of advice and service, and it will be great having him keep a watchful eye on my wrenching.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Congratulations !!!

Your aftermarket alternator failure is about the 500th one I've heard of. Last summer, someone called about their original alternator failing. I warned them not to go the aftermarket route, but the local Honda dealer decided it was best. The next day, and 200 miles later, I think they were towed to another Honda dealer who insisted on a new OEM from Honda alternator. Apparently they'd been down the aftermarket route before. I believe all that took place somewhere in the SD area. It cost them a couple of motel nights, overnight shipping, and an expensive tow. I believe they where in the middle of a 10,000 mile trip.

Hint ... if reliability is paramount, use only OEM parts.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I swear that blue wing makes you look ten years younger, Glen! They say when you get older you should wear brighter colors. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Congrats, Glenn.. Beautiful bike! Awesome color!

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's about time!!!
Fred, when you posted your 2012 for sale and it sold so quickly I kicked my butt for not jumping on it immediately even though I didn't need it at that time. I told myself I would not let another opportunity like that slip away. When Len decided to sell his I was all over it.

You installed the alternator (which I provided) on my 2006 at 280,000 miles, and you told me that even though it was marketed as an OEM Mitsubishi that you were pretty sure it was a knockoff. You were curious as to how long it would last. Well, now we know that it takes only 40,000 licks to get to the center of a knockoff alternator!

Glen

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Many of you know that about a week ago I attempted a SS2000 Gold ride, but rolled to a stop when the after-market alternator on my Goldwing failed west of Houston. I called my friend Yoda, who retrieved me and took me home.

My 2006 Wing was only a tank of gas short of 320,000 miles when it left me stranded. In all these 13 years and many miles it has only left me stranded twice with alternator failures, once with a failed final drive, and once with a broken throttle cable. I think that this track record is impeccable, and the engine was still running strong. It was tempting to fix the alternator again and continue riding the high-mileage 2006 for it has been so good to me.

However, I like to ride long distance, and I’m usually alone, so I decided to treat myself to a new motorcycle. I considered the new DCT Wings but I can't afford to run with the big dogs. Besides, I love the old style 1832's!. I now own a low mileage (44,000 miles) Level 4 Airbag model 2012 Goldwing. Many of you know Len Ellis from the San Antonio area. Len finally decided to sell his bike for health reasons, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I am truly sorry that Len can no longer ride, but I am honored that he allowed me to buy his bike.

This motorcycle is custom-tailored for me! It has everything I would have wanted, and then some! It is a Level 4, so has all the Honda options including ABS and Airbag, and also has the Honda CB radio. Len added Traxxion suspension, Centramatic wheel balancers, a Rivco trailer hitch wired for a Tailwind plug, ****-O-Pegs, and a Windbender electric windshield. It also has the Honda OEM spoiler with EC lights, and Transformer passenger boards. Len likes a little bling, so added a whole slew of LED multi-color circus lights that create a light show that will make Ssncob envious. There are many, many more farkles that I am still finding. Suffice to say, the bike is loaded!

I will swap out the shorter Windbender shield and farkel shelf from my old Wing to the new one, along with everything associated with my auxiliary gas tank.

A bonus for buying Len’s bike is the lifetime service contract. Well, almost, anyway. I told Len that his bike was used to his meticulous maintenance and I wanted to keep that custom going. Len agreed to supervise my maintenance efforts on this Goldwing any time I need a little hand-holding. Those who know Len know that he is a highly sought-after source of advice and service, and it will be great having him keep a watchful eye on my wrenching.
And you even picked up a co-rider. Congratulation .

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Hope you have many many more miles!

Donnie

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
It was me greg and it was in Utah. It was the orginal alternator with 145,000 miles that took a dump. Yes cost me about 1500.00 after it was installed. Good luck Glen on your new bike sure is a clean looking one.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts

Great photos but those pesky wires and shadows seemed to degrade.

Attachments

Reactions: cycledude

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Congratulations Glen!!! You need to take it for a test ride and come up here and visit. :grin2: I can see it now....... Capricorn Inn for lunch and the Scioto Ribber for dinner. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Congratulations Glen on a beautiful and well kept bike! Glad to see even Edith will ride on this one with you.
Get very familiar with disconnecting the battery on that airbagger. Also be careful what you mount on the handlebars between your face and that air bag.
I won one of Tom Finches Texxelent bars a couple of years ago at your RTE and never claimed it because I have an air bag bike also. You may want to look into a camel back bag for hydration on the fly instead of your butler mug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And you even picked up a co-rider. Congratulation .

Oh yes. I am so lucky. There goes my joy of riding!!:surprise:

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulations Glen!!! You need to take it for a test ride and come up here and visit. :grin2: I can see it now....... Capricorn Inn for lunch and the Scioto Ribber for dinner. :wink2:
Man oh man, I’m in for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, a couple of us are already trying to plan a ride up there to let HondaHawk show Tom Finch and Mike Seely the Air Force museum. So, it could happen! However, as you well know when you start trying to coordinate a lot of people's schedules it gets complicated. I really, really enjoyed my last visit up there!

Glen

1 - 20 of 36 Posts