GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up with my latest project today- recessing my lift table into the garage floor. What a difference it makes!!

AG GL

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NovellRed said:
What a tease. How about a picture? I would love to see it.
Then a picture you shall have! Tune in tomorrow and I 'll have a shot with table down and another up.
This is part of a big 'makeover' for my garage. I will be installing new cabinets, lighting and floor treatment. Can you tell I'm excited?

AG GL

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have considered doing this also. Where have you located the lift so the wheel lock is not being tripped over? maybe the pic will tell. Also, did you bury your air line and come into the side or bottom of te pit? What thickness of concrete on the pit....rebar spacing? So many questions... :shock:

Looking forward to your pics!

Oh, and did you install a drain?? Questions just keep popping up LOL.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
questions, questions, questions...
But waiting for the pics so I don't ask ones that are obvious...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those wanting pics...please explain how to downsize my pics to Photopost or let me have your email address. Happy to do that.
In the meantime, I cut out the approriate sized hole for my Directlift and re-placed a 4" concrete slab about 6 9/16" deep. This will allow for the thickness of the garage tiles I will be installing so that all will be flush.
I was able to use an existing chase originally planned and installed for a vacuum line for woodworking equipment but never used. As far as rebar goes, I considered using some to help reinforce the existing slab cut out within the new concrete but decided not to as I don't feel it was necessary.
No drain is needed as any water that may collect will simply drain through the annular space about the air line conduit.
Hope to download two pics to Photopost soon. They are 184 KB in size and I need to get them down to 150.

AG GL

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
AG GL Hoep you don't mind if I post 'em for you...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awesome job!!! Me next? LOL :roll:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just noticed that I haven't installed stabilizing hardware on cross tube of lift. I will do this pronto!
Thanks to Daver for posting pics for me.

AG GL

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Nice lookin' work, pretty darn good for a guy who must live in the middle of no-where because he lists a geographical area versus a town/village or even a burg. :lol:
Ya definitely will be looked upon from our group as a guy who knows what he wants and can do it, I just want to garage. :wink:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
AG GL,

how did you cut/open the hole in the floor?
(told you I had questions...)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daver...I rented a concrete saw from a local Nations Rent. I was a contractor for 28 yrs. but never paid much attention to these tools. I was surprised how straight one can cut concrete. If I could redo anything, it would be to make the cut 1/2" wider as I am concerned about expansion of the slab in the heat of the summer. It fits quite well for the moment though.
It sure is nice not having to have those extensions. Just park on top and raise onto the center stand.
There was a question about the chock/vise earlier. I will not be re-installing it as I don't feel it is necessary w/ straps.

AG GL

I also recently upgraded my compressed air source from a small portable unit to an upright floor unit. That has made a huge difference in the efficiency of the lift.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW-Thanks to all for the compliments. It was probably two long days to complete but again I had the advantage of a pre-existing chase for the under slab air line.
And to Redneck Dave- nearest town is a burg called Grove City near Columbus. My 'arm's length' distance from it is perfect...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My guess, and work, is that if cut right and pryed out; the original slab could be lowered and just the sides brick/cemented in. A one shot hope it is level when lowered project. LOL :wink: Really looks great too!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Directlift lists the height of the lowered unit at 7 1/4". Accounting for the thickness of the floor tiles I'll be installing made for a 6 13/16" drop in slab elevation. Simply cut a board with that offset to use as a screed/trowel.
It would have been nice (and cheaper!) to cut the slab and drop it but it couldn't be done. Had to break up with a sledge and remove underlying gravel and a bit of dirt to allow for the correct placement of new slab.
Sure is nice to ride up on the lift now without extensions...

AG GL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts