GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a beautiful 2001 Gold Wing with 16,375 original miles from the second owner, it is Pearl Blue. Came with a trailer, armrest, back rest, wired for Gerbings, covers for the bike and trailer and head sets. GPS mount and a all important cup holder. It has new Elite 3's and a new battery. I have put my first 1500 miles or so on it and I love it - best Motorcycle I have ever owned, I keep going to the garage just to look at her!!

Looking for risers for the passenger floor boards and kids riding gear so I can start taking my son on some short rides.

Riding today hit a man hole cover and the left fork seal let go! Any idea what it will cost to have them replaced? Seems to be rather frequent issue with Wings from what I have read?

·
Registered
568 Posts
:congrats: on your new toy. sorry i have no advice for your fork issue, but sorry it happened

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Reading some on this and it seems the anti-dive valve contributes to this. Dealer wants $334 plus parts, hold crap!

Anyone that has had it done for less let me know - I think they are asking too much for this service!

Also what tools are needed - I will cross post in the tech section too!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had mine done at a not Honda dealer mechanic. The are extremely reasonable and only charged $180 including parts. Both side done. I have an '02. I seems that the left fork in usually the one to go first.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
fork seal

You can and should just rebuild both forks at once cause they might not have been serviced recently. No really special tools needed. Get a manual or some help or better yet buy or borrow a set of Fred Harmons DVD's on 1800 service. They cover the fork rebuild very thoroughly. You can do this yourself on a Sat. The only hard part is getting the bolt out of the bottom of the fork leg. You NEED an air gun to break it loose. Everything else is easy. Parts are available thru our board sponsors ( seals, bushings, etc for 50 or 60 bucks ).
Check the forum out as there may be someone close by who will help you with your first time service. Congradulations on your new bike, enjoy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had mine done at a not Honda dealer mechanic. The are extremely reasonable and only charged $180 including parts. I have an '02. I seems that the left fork in usually the one to go first.
I am looking at a non dealer option - with parts this job would be over $400 at the dealer, that just seems really steep.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can and should just rebuild both forks at once cause they might not have been serviced recently. No really special tools needed. Get a manual or some help or better yet buy or borrow a set of Fred Harmons DVD's on 1800 service. They cover the fork rebuild very thoroughly. You can do this yourself on a Sat. The only hard part is getting the bolt out of the bottom of the fork leg. You NEED an air gun to break it loose. Everything else is easy. Parts are available thru our board sponsors ( seals, bushings, etc for 50 or 60 bucks ).
Check the forum out as there may be someone close by who will help you with your first time service. Congradulations on your new bike, enjoy.
I am considering this, but it would be helpful if I could find someone that has done it. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
:congrats: On your new bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on getting the Gold Wing. I love mine will never get anything other than a Gold Wing. Very sorry to hear about your encounter with the man hole cover. I have no idea what it would cost but hang in there you will have it fixed and on road again soon.

Ron

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Welcome to the bored, I mean board. None of the Wing riders I ride with have ever had the fork seal problem, that I am aware of. There are about 25 of us that ride with great frequency and none of us have had issues. Best of luck.
I did just had new Progressive fork springs and "All Balls Bearings" done. Rides a lot better. Next is the Progressive rear shock and spring.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: on your wing!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Sorry to here about your fork seal!:cry:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clymer Manual as good as the Honda Service Manual? I have a Clymer and I am considering the Honda Manual?

·
Banned
208 Posts
Congrats on your new Toy, seems like you are enjoying it already.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did my 2001 with the help of Fred's video. Fred's videos are entertaining and good info. Wingstuff had a fork rebuild kit with the seals, bolts, compression washers etc. The board sponsor, Direct Line,, probably sells this kit too. I have a motorcycle lift and that might also be required but I would have to review Fred's video to confirm. I think you had a little bad luck with a seal going bad after only 17k miles.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Congrats on your new Toy, seems like you are enjoying it already.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well, nobody else posted it, so here goes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts