GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made it. After 1600 miles I am in Loveland just outside Estes Park and planning some riding for the next couple days. I am thinking Trail Ridge Rd through Rocky Mountain National Park and maybe Mt. Evans? Is this doeable in one day? Any other suggestions? I have about 14 days to spend in Colorado and Utah.

Appreciate any suggestions on itinerary? Those of you who are from this area what do you suggest?

Thanks,

CanuckGL1800

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I finally made it. After 1600 miles I am in Loveland just outside Estes Park and planning some riding for the next couple days. I am thinking Trail Ridge Rd through Rocky Mountain National Park and maybe Mt. Evans? Is this doeable in one day? Any other suggestions? I have about 14 days to spend in Colorado and Utah.

Appreciate any suggestions on itinerary? Those of you who are from this area what do you suggest?

Thanks,

CanuckGL1800
So many choices in both states....Independence Pass, Hwy 555 (Silverton & Durango) plus the loop to Telluride, Hwy 141 from Naturita to Grand Junction, Hwy 128 into Moab, Ut...Arches National Park, Dead Horse State Park (Views), Hwy 95 from Moab to Torrey then Hwy 12 to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks...I could go on and on but I'll let others post ideas for me as well. Love that area of the country.:bow:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Personally, I would not do them both in one day. 2 reasons:

1. There's enough to do just with Hwy 34 to Estes and over Trail Ridge Road that I wouldn't want to rush it...
2. There are still thunderstorms in the afternoons/evenings... and you don't want to be up on Mt. Evans when the electricity is so... "free flowing" if I may say it that way. It's better to do that on the morning of day 2. Late morning even.

Too many people try to do Mt. Evans during questionable weather and then want to blame someone or something...or whatever. Just remember: Once you get above timberline, you will be the tallest thing on the mountain. Once you're the tallest, you're quite enticing for lightening. ;)

There's a turnoff at Drake on the way up the pass toward Estes Park. This road takes you to a little 6-building town called Glen Haven. I'd suggest taking that road up to Estes Park instead of riding up 34 all the way. You'll follow a small stream up that canyon - and match just about every twist of the river with the road. It's truly the "twisties" up there.

Then just loiter up in Rocky Mountain National Park until the weather forces you down. Grand Lake on the other side is worth spending some time exploring. After the thrill of the Glen Haven road and Trail Ridge Road, the area past Grand Lake will be relaxing and a nice way to end the day.

On the other hand, if you had planned to go to Grand Lake, and then back to Estes Park before going to Mt Evans..that's certainly a good idea. Everything looks different from the other direction, and it's worth doing twice. But then you REALLY don't want to do both in one day. That would put you at Mt. Evans at maximum electricity time.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Estes Park/Rocky Mtn.- -Trail Ridge/Grand Lake PLEASE take one day just for that area, well worth it. Stay in Grand Lake or Granby for the night well worth it.

Have you thought about hooking up with Rockies-Gold in Montrose?

·
Registered
957 Posts
As long as you stay west of I-25 you can't go wrong. If it were my trip, I'd spend at least a couple of days in RMNP, then begin to work my way to the southwest corner diagonally across the state, and definitely include some of the red rock area of Utah.

I'm green with envy. :nojoke:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. Thats why I like this forum. Lots of good info. Keep it coming as i appreciate the advice. I will split the RMNP and Mt Evans into two days. I was thinking of heading down towards Colorado springs after I do Mt. Evans? Maybe Pikes Peak? Then over towards Durango area? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was thinking of heading down towards Colorado springs after I do Mt. Evans? Maybe Pikes Peak? Then over towards Durango area? Any thoughts?

Yup, that's a decent plan. There's a highway system loosely called "Peak to Peak Highway" that you can take from Estes Park all the way to Woodland Park. If you go through little bug-sized towns like "Ward", Nederland, Central City, Pine Valley, and "Deckers" then you've got the right road. Then you can hit Pikes Peak, Cripple Creek, Bishop's Castle before heading further west.

Since 14 days is just about enough time to hit every pretty paved road in the state, I think you should start here on the eastern side and head slowly west until you've done the Unaweep canyon and Million Dollar Highway. Then go back and re-run the roads backwards until you run out of vacation.

Are you going to meet up with us in Montrose later next week? I don't see your name on the attendees list... so could it be that you're actually going to spend 2 weeks in CO during Rockies Gold week and not show up? :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Thanks,

CanuckGL1800
Keep an eye out for Slow Joe, he is out that way. Don't run over him!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to go to Utah as well to visit Arches, canyonlands and Bryce Canyon? Is that too ambitious? I would like to prioritize my time to see the best areas of both states.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Naw... it depends I guess on what kind of rider you are. Ambitious for one guy is boredom for another.

I'd say once you're here for a couple days and get a feel for how long it takes to run 300 miles of twisties.. you'll get a better feel for how much you'll see.

Vacations with no solid plans are more relaxing anyway.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
so could it be that you're actually going to spend 2 weeks in CO during Rockies Gold week and not show up? :)
That's just WRONG!!!

And here you are hanging around asking for free info like this!!! :wrong:

Doc, you forgot to tell him about the cinnamon rolls at the general store (on your right as you head up valley) in Glen Haven.

Then there's the gnarly double "S" switchbacks at the top of Devils Gulch. Go here for a discussion about those:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289649

Click on PingJockey's link at the bottom of the pic to see what it looks like from above.

1st or a fast second gear will get you up the hill there.

The view as you come up to the top is well worth a stop as the Estes Valley spreads out before you.

When you get to the stop sign, hang a right and that will take you into the north entrance to RMNP.

Here's a coupon for a couple of bucks off entrance fees at Ol' Zebs mountain:

http://www.pikes-peak.com/DisplayCoupon.aspx?id=25

Use that money to buy a donut at the top.

Stop by Montrose and meet a few of us, we'd love to see you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, We try not to make firm plans but I must admit since its a long ride to get here we want to see as much a possible. I would really like to attend the rally if time permits? Do you guys think that rooms would be available in that area on short notice?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was beginning to think you were ignoring the Rockies Gold questions like a DIY air filter change!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, will check with the other couple we are riding with and hopefully we can get there. I might do the Eastern Colorado rides and head straight out to Utah and then come back mid next week to ride the Montrose area? That would ensure that I could make RG?

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Be sure to look at the Rockies Gold website -- it has GREAT info regarding roads to ride - both out of Montrose and also out of Frisco ( I70 W of Denver), the base for last years RG.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Devils gultch highway 43 DDevils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 evils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43
The most awesome corner going to Estes oh did I mention Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43 Devils gultch highway 43

awesome 34 ride too I'm jealous have fun

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Devils Gulch

Hey thanks for the tip about Devils Gulch to Glen Haven. Awesome ride and wicked switchbacks. :thumbup:
Unfortunately got to Glen Haven too early to get a sticky bun!

Tomorrow is Mt Evans and then on to Colorado Springs (Garden of the Gods) and Pikes Peak.

Thanks for everyones advice!!!!!

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip about Devils Gulch to Glen Haven. Awesome ride and wicked switchbacks. :thumbup:
Had fun on that road did ya????

There's many many more just like that out here.

If you navigated those switchbacks then Mt. Evans will be a snap!

What did you think of that view of Estes at the top? Nice eh?

Too bad about those sticky buns...

They would have made the whole trip worth it!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sticky Buns...
Where bread, sugar, and cinnamon come together in complete harmony.

If only the governments of the world would learn from the local bakery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts