GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always changed my own motorcycle tires. I began by doing them with tire spoons in conjunction with zip ties or ratchet straps. Several years ago I invested in a NoMar tire changer and I've used it to change all my vehicle tires, including many belonging to relatives and whoever else trusts my workmanship and likes free tire service. I think it was the rear Dunlop E3 tire that motivated me to buy the NoMar. I finally got around to replacing my rear Bridgestone Exedra tire with the Pirelli P1 runflat. I really wasn't surprised that mounting the Pirelli P1 runflat was easier than the Dunlop E3. Dunlop E3's have a very stiff sidewall. As someone suggested not too long ago on this forum, the Dunlop E3 (and maybe the newer E4) are actually designed to be runflats, albeit not promoted or advertised as such.

After reading a few posts on this sub-board about recommended tire pressures I inflated the P1 to 32psi. The first thing I immediately noticed as I rode out from the garage was an apparent lag in acceleration. The bike felt sluggish. I also felt as though the bike was lower to the ground, the top of the windshield now having risen into my line of sight. Thankfully I only had time for a short ride.

Yesterday I had a little more time to test it out. Before heading out I adjusted the P1 tire pressure to 40psi. The sluggish disappeared and the old girl felt and rode like her old self. I can't really say that I found a huge difference in the ride or handling between the Excedra and the P1. With the P1 I seemed to be less apt to scrape pegs. It seems implausible as the difference in height of the P1 over the Excedra is so slight (180mm to 195mm or slightly more than 1/2"). The old girl also seemed to stand up just a bit quicker when coming out of a curve. That was it. I rode some nearby twisty back roads, parking lot maneuvers and a short run on the super slab.

My only expectation going darkside is the anecdotal extra measure of safety provided by a runflat. I really don't care if the P1 lasts longer or is less expensive. When calculated over the miles traveled any savings is relatively insignificant, particularly in comparison to how I manage to waste away the balance of my money. When out riding I rarely ever think twice about how much gasoline or a good meal costs as I approach empty.

Does anyone bother with DS decals and numbers anymore?

Reactions: Andy Cote

·
Registered
766 Posts
I missed this when first posted. Welcome to the DS. Cookies, decals, numbers are at your discretion. Looking forward to seeing your longer term opinion.

Reactions: jlbc212
1 - 3 of 3 Posts