GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I took our 2 wheeled wing on a week long trip up through Yellowstone and Teton parks last week. We went with another couple on a harley trike. We got to ride it around a little and it steered really WIERD! Just the SLIGHTEST pressure on the handle bars and it would jump. It felt like driving a 4 wheeler. Is this normal for the wing trikes also? The wife wasn't real comfortable on our 2 wheels and thought a trike would be good but after riding one (yes it was a Harley) she wasn't sure after all!

·
Registered
569 Posts
The wife and I took our 2 wheeled wing on a week long trip up through Yellowstone and Teton parks last week. We went with another couple on a harley trike. We got to ride it around a little and it steered really WIERD! Just the SLIGHTEST pressure on the handle bars and it would jump. It felt like driving a 4 wheeler. Is this normal for the wing trikes also? The wife wasn't real comfortable on our 2 wheels and thought a trike would be good but after riding one (yes it was a Harley) she wasn't sure after all!
If the trike wasn't raked, then it has a greater tendency to "jump" or oversteer. With a 4 1/2 degree rake on a Motor Trike this doesn't happen on mine. Can't answer for a Harley. I have only sat on one, and didn't feel right to me.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That said, the 'steering' on any trike will be much more instantly noticeable than on a two wheeler. It takes some miles to get used to that, and it makes a difference whether or not the trike has a steering rake kit installed or not. Any input to the bars on your trike will be felt and seen. You must relax your hands and arms and upper body, and you must recognize that when you move your body in the seat, you are likely to transmit that movement to the bar.

With practice, you will learn to be in control of the bar and hold your hands fairly firmly in contact with the grips, while not being tense and gripping to hard. It's hard to describe ... just have your fingers loosely but firmly encircling the grips, and relax your arms and upper body. The trike wants to go straight ... you will have to physically turn the front wheel to turn, and you will have to hold that turn till you are done. But you do so gently, yet firmly, and without "overdriving" the thing.

I hope this is not confusing to you and is of some help. I cannot speak specifically about the Harley trike ... I have no personal experience with them. The ones I've seen seem to me to be fairly short wheelbased, and in my opinion, that will make the tendency to be twitchy more serious and noticeable.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
All Tri-Glides have rake. So, the one you rode was raked.
Having said that and not really wanting to upset any TG owners, I will only say you need to ride "other" trikes. Do not base your trike "thoughts" on having only ridden a TG.
Try a Wing w/an IRS kit on it and a rake kit.
You steer a trike and riding a short wheel base trike w/a rake will give you that "darting" feeling until you get used to it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Compared to a two wheeler, they do steer weird. And react differently to bumps that affect just one wheel, and roads that lean. Some more so than others, but they all do it.

The one thing that can be said is that most of us start out a little uncomfortable with the steering, and most everyone you'll talk to here got to a point where they sincerely like it better than two wheels. I did and do. Often it takes 500-1000 miles, so it can be hard to make the jump based on a test ride. After reading a lot of new triker experiences, I knew it was going to take some time to get my brain dialed in after many years and miles on two.

But what you're feeling is not unusual at all. Nor is it likely that it's only this specific trike. If your wife is just a passenger, she might react differently to riding behind an experienced trike rider. No offense intended, but it took me a while to be smooth. Or the problem might be that, without the lean, you tend to feel the turns more. You get used to that, too, and it's not bad. The feeling that comes of knowing you can make slow turns and go on dodgy surfaces without worrying about falling over is fantastic.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If the Harley Trike was a true Tri-Glide from Harley, it would have a rake kit and steering damper.
If it was a conversion, there is no telling what it had for steering.
My ride is not a true trike, but the front end steers exactly the same. I have a 5.5 degree rake kit.
I have 4 bad disks in my neck and have no problems steering.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
When I had the 5.5 degree trail installed on my Champion Trike the wrencher said the least bit of handle bar pressure will put the vehicle in the next lane. He did exaggerate, but the handling is so much easier with the kit installed. However, I have never experienced the trike jumping. It just steers that much easier.

Would not have a trike without the rake/trail kit installed as I have terrible shoulders. It would be a job to steer the machine and I got the trike for fun, not work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The first time my wife and I rode a Goldwing trike it had 3 degree rake and solid suspension. It was a Lehman and I hated it and vowed never to ride trike again. (Don't bash me it's just my opinion.) Another friend had independent suspension on his trike with 5 or 6 degree rake and that made all the difference. Both my wife and I liked the ride and handling. So we bought one. Ride several and see what you like.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My wife has 15k trouble free miles on her Harley and loves it. I like my 2008 w CSC IRS with 25K trouble free miles.

The test ride of a Harley which is raked and solid axle, is probably not your best test of a trike. The controls on a Harley v/s GL1800 are different as is the seating position. There is too many differences between the two to absorb in a few miles.

Trikes do steer more like four wheelers in that you must maintain the pressure on the bars though out the turn. They are not as top heavy as a four wheeler but you still get the centrifugal forces attempting to slide your body to the outside of the turn. This is caused by your weight sitting straight up instead of being pushed into the seat when leaning a two wheeler. To overcome the uncomfortable feeling is something that can only be overcome with miles in the saddle.

TRYKER is right!!!!These feelings go away in 500 to 1000 miles and you will find yourself attacking the corners just like you did on your two wheeler.

Once converted to three wheels you will never go back.

Ride as many types of kits as possible. Ride as many miles as they will let you.. Everyone likes their conversion kit. Spend many hours on this forum searching like questions and problems. Sort out the people that have a dog in the fight. There is a wealth of information on this forum. USE IT!!!

INSTALLER>>INSTALLER>>INSTALLER

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have to agree...

with Tryker and Boots for they told you the truth. Take your time and ride several because a trike is an investment as far as I am concerned.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Rather than bring donor motorcycles to this discussion, I suggest that you point out that it takes more than a few miles to make a reasonable assessment of a trike's handling capabilities/limitations, especially a 1F/2R trike. The brand of the donor motorcycle is incidental, IMO.

For what it's worth one of the shorter wheelbase trike kits is the DFT which is also one of the better handling trikes, all else equal. Wheelbase affects ride quality, generally speaking. In and of itself, wheelbase has far less affect on handling.

Having said that and not really wanting to upset any TG owners, I will only say you need to ride "other" trikes. Do not base your trike "thoughts" on having only ridden a TG.
You steer a trike and riding a short wheel base trike w/a rake will give you that "darting" feeling until you get used to it.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
The brand of the donor motorcycle is incidental, IMO.
We all have our opinions. Mine is the "donor" is very important. 120hp(Wing) vs somewhere around 60(TG), makes a big, even huge, difference in ride performance.

In and of itself, wheelbase has far less affect on handling.
Somewhat agree w/wheelbase statement however, the width of the conversion makes a huge difference in the "feel"(handling) especially when cornering, IMO.
I simply suggest again, to test ride as many as possible to make your own decision on the "one" you want.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364
The brand of the donor motorcycle is incidental, IMO.
We all have our opinions. Mine is the "donor" is very important. 120hp(Wing) vs somewhere around 60(TG), makes a big, even huge, difference in ride performance.

In and of itself, wheelbase has far less effect on handling.
Somewhat agree w/wheelbase statement however, the width of the conversion makes a huge difference in the "feel"(handling) especially when cornering, IMO.

I agree with your concluding statement, "I simply suggest again, to test ride as many as possible to make your own decision on the "one" you want." Attributes that appeal to me might not appeal to you,. Right? For example, to some the warranty on a factory built trike is very important. To others it isn't. It's a difference of opinion and priorities that doesn't make one right and the other wrong, huh?

I further agree with your opinion about a wider track, all else equal, which is seldom the case.<g>

Horsepower and torque are attributes that while potentially satisfying and desireable, have little to do with handling capability. Well executed suspensions, superior brakes and proper tires contribute far more to handling than either.

·
Registered
491 Posts
When you ride a trike, do not firmly grip the handlebars. I gently grip my handlebars and it makes a world of difference in how the trike handles.
Just my $0.02.

Ride safely,
Alex

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have my 09 Champion & love it ! My husband has a 2011 TriGlide and it is a smooth running machine.....Love that 6th gear and it is actually more comfortable as a co-rider on his than it is my Wing. Both are straight axle.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I am hearing/reading more and more good things about the Tri-Glide and it's warranted as well as backed by a teriffic dealer network. Honda might want to take notice if it wants to move into second place ahead of Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My Wife has a 05 champion trike she loves it i have a 2 wheeler and for me when i can't ride the 2 wheeler i will quit riding don't care for trikes and i have tried different ones.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
My Wife has a 05 champion trike she loves it i have a 2 wheeler and for me when i can't ride the 2 wheeler i will quit riding don't care for trikes and i have tried different ones.
I have owned three trikes and at age 72 am getting the itch to buy another 2 wheel motorcycle. Where pray tell does the notion come from that trikes are only for people who are unable to comfortably ride 2 wheelers? Trikes are different than 2 wheeled motorcycles but nowhere have I seen a rule stating [or even implying] that they are only for those who cannot, for whatever reason ride a 2 wheeler. Trikes are better for some purposes and vice versa...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have owned three trikes and at age 72 am getting the itch to buy another 2 wheel motorcycle. Where pray tell does the notion come from that trikes are only for people who are unable to comfortably ride 2 wheelers? Trikes are different than 2 wheeled motorcycles but nowhere have I seen a rule stating [or even implying] that they are only for those who cannot, for whatever reason ride a 2 wheeler. Trikes are better for some purposes and vice versa...
This is just my thoughts i don't like the way the trike steers and it is raked.I guess i'm just use to 2 wheels never meant you had to be disabled to have one.If you are 20 and like the trike thats up to the rider,

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
This is just my thoughts i don't like the way the trike steers and it is raked.I guess i'm just use to 2 wheels never meant you had to be disabled to have one.If you are 20 and like the trike thats up to the rider,
Well set up trikes steer very much like cars and trucks. That's not so bad, is it? It is different than 'steering' a motorcycle, at least for those who lean/countersteer. <g>

1 - 20 of 28 Posts