GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wait is over. Tomorrow I leave for the first of several bikes trips. My wife, brother, and I are heading up to Franklin North Carolina. We've rented a gorgeous two story log cabin with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. Some of our trips will be up route 28 to the Fontana Dam, and on up to 129, the Dragon. We'll also hit the Cherohala. On one of the days we want to ride over to Brasstown Bald, super roads in that area.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good on ya !!! Have a great time.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trip was one of the best in quite a while. I couldn't believe the weather. The highest temperature on the ride up was 72 degrees and the low was 67. We ducked and dodged a few brief showers, but not enough to get wet. It cleared up Monday night and Tuesday was sunny and cold. It was 50 degrees when we geared up and headed west on route 64 out of Franklin. I can't recall the other highway numbers but we ended up at Brasstown Bald. The road to the top is like a vertical mini Deal's Gap. The view from the observation tower is spectacular. The only downside was dropping my Nikon DSLR in the parking lot. After that all my pictures were coming out too dark, requiring me to shoot on manual mode. The second day we decided to head over to the Cherohala Skyway. We took Rte 28 (my favorite) north out of Franklin, up to 19/74 heading west, then picked up 28 north again. This eventually leads to Deal's Gap but we just did that run recently so we turned west on 143 to Robbinsville and the Cherohala. It was severe clear and cold on the skyway with temps in the low 40's. We stopped to picnic at Hoopers Bald, about 5200 ft elevation but the temp and stiff wind made it quite uncomfortable sitting out in the open on a picnic table. It actually felt better getting back on the bikes. At one point we stopped at an overlook with about a dozen Harley riders. I walked over to the edge to get some pictures and when I looked back my wife and her Yamaha scooter were surrounded by the leather clad gang. They were fascinated by a woman riding a scooter in the mountains and she was telling them all about how fast it went and how well it handled. They were especially interested in her portable CB radio. Of course she had to demonstrate it for them. I think she was getting a kick out of all the attention. My brother and I joined in and the guys were a hoot, turns out they were firemen from Atlantic City. The third day we stayed fairly close to Franklin, taking 64 east over to Highlands. Of course we had to drive under Bridal Veil Falls and rinse some of the dust off the bikes. At one point I had to show off a little and blow by a guy on a sportbike that was holding us up. I kind of felt sorry for the guy , being passed by two Goldwings riding two up. That reminds me, this was the first time in the mountains on the Bridgestones. I love the way they feel planted to the road and the confidence they inspire. We packed up and got an early start for home on Friday morning. It was sunny and clear all the way, the only bummer was some long stretches of 90 degree temps during the late afternoon while going through Georgia. As I've aged I find that 3 days of mountain riding is sufficient and I can go another 6 months before I have to return. Dave and I are still kicking around the idea for a Canada trip later this summer.

Tom

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
T<...>I find that 3 days of mountain riding is sufficient and I can go another 6 months before I have to return. Dave and I are still kicking around the idea for a Canada trip later this summer.
Seems like you had a really great trip - hope the camera did well enough to share a few pictures of where you were. My wife has a close friend in E. Tennessee; one thought I've had is fly her back there, I would Iron Butt my way out there, then see the sights with her on the way back home.

Your initial part of the quote above reminds me of the California trip I took last year. I think I was really to relax a bit after about five days, which was why I had planned a 'down' day in the trek. It was an unplanned day of mountain 'goat trail' riding, but that was worth it in the end.

Glad ya had a good ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts