GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been posted before but did you know you can find by lat and lon now? If you didn't I'll post a how too but I don't want to do if it's been done already. Works pretty slick. 8)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
This is old news - please try and keep up with the rest of the class... :duck:

(You've probably been too busy returning defective units) :evil:

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon said:
This is old news - please try and keep up with the rest of the class... :duck:

(You've probably been too busy returning defective units) :evil:
Thanks Jon, I figured you guys were too sharp not to know how to do this. 8)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Well I must have missed it when it was posted and I cannot find it now. Would you be so kind as to post how it is done? I am sure there are others who would like to know. Besides it is not like reading the same joke more then once. :wink: :wink:

thanks in advance..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lat Lon I-Way

Lamont;

I'll bite. I read this: Quote:
If you know the coordinates for an address, you can create a waypoint (click anywhere on the map - it doesn't matter), add to the address book and then edit it. From the edit screen, you can enter the lat/lon values directly.

But it does not really make sense to me.

If I were smart, I would have been the Flight Nurse or Para Medic. I was only the Pilot!

Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Earlier versions of the firmware displayed the Lat/Lon coordinates for waypoints and POI entries, but you couldn't edit the fields. With the 1.7.0 release, they made these fields editable, but you have to have them in your address book to edit them.

Start off by selecting any place on the map and then pressing the Red 'Info' button.

Select the 'Add to Addressbook' button and you'll be taken to the 'Edit Waypoint' menu.

Click on the 'Latitude' field to get to the 'Edit Waypoint' menu with the Latitude entry field selected. This is where you get to enter the values for the actual coordinates of your waypoint.

The system is pretty user-friendly in that it will only let you enter North & South in the Latitude field and East & West in the Longitude entries. The system will skip right over the characters to the number fields. When you're finished, repeat the procedure for the Longitude entry.

This process works fine for limited numbers of entries - if you have a lot of waypoints to enter this way, you might want to consider using the free 'GDM' program from Lowrance. This free utility will let you manage your waypoints, routes and tracks.

This is a relatively easy way to enter a large number of waypoints into a 'USR' file that you can copy to your iWay and load them directly into the address book.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Jon,

Thanks for the info. I have it printed out so I can play with it when I have some extra time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
if you have a lot of waypoints to enter this way, you might want to consider using the free 'GDM' program from Lowrance.
I tried that, and got the following message:
Setup cannot run from this Web page. Verify you have the correct browser security settings, click Refresh, and select Yes when asked to install the InstallShield Wizard. Size Unknown

I'm using IE and there's nothing unusual about my security settings (I'm running at the "Medium" setting). Any idea about what the "correct browser security settings" might be?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lat Lon in I-Way

Jon;

Thank You Sir!

That's a format I can follow!

I'll hook it up in the house and "load her up"!

Flying EMS on the FL. Peninsula for 9+ years, I have a LOT of desired destinations in LAT LON I can utilize now.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Bob said:
... I'm using IE and there's nothing unusual about my security settings (I'm running at the "Medium" setting). Any idea about what the "correct browser security settings" might be?
Most newer versions of IE will block 'ActiveX' controls. On mine, there's a little warning bar that displays at the top of the window that asks if you want to install this control.

You can also download the stand-alone installation program from this link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts