GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the following on the WA board but didn't get any help for my area so I thought I would post on the OR board. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From the looks of things on the Washington State site it appears that their isn't a lot of activity or maybe most folks just don't post on the individual states. Anywho I just moved to WA (Salmon Creek/Vancouver) area about 2 months ago and would like to say Hi. While I probably do 80% of my own maintenance, repairs, etc. I do have a need for a GOOD dealer for any recalls or work that I may not be able to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been able to sneak a ride in between raindrops but I'm really looking forward to the better weather to really explore the State. One other question, my dealer from where I moved had no problem mounting new tires that I purchased off the Internet. I would remove my wheels and carry them in with my new tires. Is that a no-no here?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there in OR that can help a fella out in response to the above thread. :shrug:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live in Portland and use Beaverton Honda for repairs. Mike is the service manager. They do fine work.
Tires - Motorcycle Tire & Wheel - 701 NE Alberta St Portland 97211. Open 10:00 Tues-Sat, but BRING CASH.
$35 last time I got a tire mounted and balanced. They do it while you wait.
Orwhthse

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Portland and use Beaverton Honda for repairs. Mike is the service manager. They do fine work.
Tires - Motorcycle Tire & Wheel - 701 NE Alberta St Portland 97211. Open 10:00 Tues-Sat, but BRING CASH.
$35 last time I got a tire mounted and balanced. They do it while you wait.
Orwhthse
Question on tires & mounting. If I carry in my wheels and a new tire that I purchased online will they mount/balance it for the $35 mentioned above.
Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Call them and ask: (503) 284-8309
I have had them mount on-line tires several times.
No hassle. The two old guys are difficult to understand sometimes.
But they get right on your wheels. All manual labor; no compressor; amazing guys with vast experience.
Beautiful job every time. Dirt bikes; Old Harleys; new Harleys; Hondas! Just bring CASH
Orwhthse

·
Registered
278 Posts
Anybody out there in OR that can help a fella out in response to the above thread. :shrug:

I live in Portland. Because of the age of my wing (2002) I don't have a reason to take my bike into the dealers except for recalls. Otherwise I have all my wrenching done by Mark and his crew at Cycle Specialties over near PDX airport. It used to be called Wingman's when it was owned by Mark's brother.

My friends who do use a dealer prefer Woodburn Honda over Beaverton Honda but that's a bit farther for you to travel.

BTW, the Vancouver chapter of GWRRA has various rides around the area most Tuesdays and are a really nice group of riders. Also they don't really care if you aren't a GWRRA member. Usually it's only 4 - 6 bikes (I don't really care for the larger rides).

Bret

ps. I had both knees replaced this spring and won't be riding till Memorial Day but after that I'd be up for a ride most weekdays.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to both Orwhthse & Bret for the recommendations on getting work done on the GW

Bret, Cycle Specialties is a short 15 mi. ride from my house so I went there this morning and introduced myself to Mark. Nice guy, looks like he could use a bigger shop because he had plenty of work (that's a good thing) inside.
I met a rider from Renton WA that said he has been using Mark since '96 to do the work on his GW's. He was having the forks resealed and some other items checked out before leaving on a trip.
Mark will probably be my go-to guy when I need work done that I can't handle.
I hope your knees have you up and running soon.

Reactions: BretC

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks to both Orwhthse & Bret for the recommendations on getting work done on the GW

Bret, Cycle Specialties is a short 15 mi. ride from my house so I went there this morning and introduced myself to Mark. Nice guy, looks like he could use a bigger shop because he had plenty of work (that's a good thing) inside.
I met a rider from Renton WA that said he has been using Mark since '96 to do the work on his GW's. He was having the forks resealed and some other items checked out before leaving on a trip.
Mark will probably be my go-to guy when I need work done that I can't handle.
I hope your knees have you up and running soon.
I am curious if you got a chance to use Mark at Cycle Specialties?

I don't have an immediate need but at some point in time late this year I will probably take it in for fluids and maybe a valve check.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am curious if you got a chance to use Mark at Cycle Specialties?

I don't have an immediate need but at some point in time late this year I will probably take it in for fluids and maybe a valve check.

While I did ride to his shop and introduce myself I haven't had the need to use his services as I do most of my bike's maintenance but when needed I will be using him.

·
Registered
526 Posts
While I did ride to his shop and introduce myself I haven't had the need to use his services as I do most of my bike's maintenance but when needed I will be using him.
I am taking my bike into Mark for the first time tomorrow for maintenance & to install the All Balls steering head bearings. I will let you know how he does.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Got my bike back from Mark.

It was done when he said it would be.

Had him do the following;

Oil & filter
Air filter
Coolant
Brake/Clutch fluid
Final Drive oil.
Install All Ball steering head bearings

General Inspection

Everything seems to be in order and I do notice a slight difference in the handling. He said my original bearings looked fine.

I will use him again when needed.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my bike back from Mark.

It was done when he said it would be.

Had him do the following;

Oil & filter
Air filter
Coolant
Brake/Clutch fluid
Final Drive oil.
Install All Ball steering head bearings

General Inspection

Everything seems to be in order and I do notice a slight difference in the handling. He said my original bearings looked fine.

I will use him again when needed.

Thanks for the update on the work that Mark did. How many miles were on your original bearings?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts