GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
:shock:Should have just found a large tree, throw a nylon strap around a large branch, get a come-along, and hang the bike upside down.

Would have been quicker. :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Had this for years and it deals with dropping a bolt in the garage but the principal of loosing something that is hard to get at is the same.

Tinkle, tinkle little part.
How I wonder where thou art.
I watched you bounce across the floor.
I searched for you; you are no more.
I crawled around on hands and knees
You must be here; I need you---please!
But you won't leave a single clue
To where you rolled, by chance, will you?
If parts could only speak to you
In words that rang of naught but true,
Perhaps they'd say, in due respect
To lose us is politically incorrect

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hope you changed the air filter while you were in there....

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Well, I hope you've learned your lesson as to where NOT to leave the spare key (at home). ;)

Some people keep a spare key hidden on their bike, but I keep mine in my wallet (the Axxess 27 is nice and flat). :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The photo of the bike taken apart.....was that in a spare bedroon, family room or something? Surely it was misprinted as a "garage." My garage and none of my friends garages look anyhting like that in the picture!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I think that is the master bedroom, he being the master. His wife threw him out of the previous master's bedroom after having to take him a key.:wrong:
It may be a mistake on my part, but I carry a spare key in my tank bag. If for some reason I would drop, misplace or loose the first key, the spare is right there.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
who has sliding glass doors in their garage. Thats the bedroom and he sleeps with her there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For sure, it really is a great garage. I have a lot of tools and a fair garage to work in, but when I want to do any serious work on my Wing I call my buddy. We should all be so lucky!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Did your dog help? :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you look real close there is a hound(kinda)dog to the left of the trash can.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wonder how many man hours, scraped knuckles, replaced parts, and cuss words have been claimed by the Honda Hole.

Somewhere in Japan, a engineer is quietly laughing while sipping on a fine glass of Scotch.

V

·
0 Posts
I read somwhere and took the advice of using some type of lanyard, for lack of a better word to prevent this. I use a sunglass lanyard and it works great. If it drops I can hopefully still grab it, but I do need to place a spare key somewhere also just in case something else happens.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I have found that most of the time when you drop stuff down the front portion of the bike, you can usually retrieve it by only removing the black panel behind the front wheel that is just above the timing cover. This allows access to the front of the engine, and you can usually find what you dropped sitting right behind it. In many cases, it will fall right out when you remove the panel.

This would be the FIRST panel I would remove if I dropped something down the front. (Not that I would ever admit to doing that).

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I learned long ago that two old towels stuffed in each cavity will stop anything from falling down the black hole while working on the front of the bike..

I have a separate key ring for all my other keys with a spare bike key on it.(just in case)

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
The "Honda Hole" has been around since the first GoldWings. I dropped a whole set of keys down it on my '77. It was in the parking lot at work and I was able to get back in with my badge, borrow a very powerful magnet and set of "bilge tongs" from my toolbox, and retrieve it (the keyring was steel).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I use a cloth badge lanyard from a convention I went to. It's about 15" long. I have the EC tank bag, which means I have a little attachment piece just below the ignition slot. I wrap the excess lanyard around that so it doesn't fly around when I ride. I've never dropped my key, but like a good Boy Scout, I'm prepared!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts