GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing the Finial Drive oil. I used Yamaha 80-90 W SAE oil. My question: Is this oil OK for he Wing? Their wrench-er said, "yes". However, I wanted to ask all of you before I take a 2000 mile trip this month. :D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
LarryJohn said:
I just finished changing the Finial Drive oil. I used Yamaha 80-90 W SAE oil. My question: Is this oil OK for he Wing? Their wrench-er said, "yes". However, I wanted to ask all of you before I take a 2000 mile trip this month. :D
Was it for hypoid gears?

G

·
It must be an oil designed for hypoid gears. Since the Yamaha oil you got is 80-90 weight, I assume it is, but be sure it says so on the container..

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
IBTrike said:
It must be an oil designed for hypoid gears. Since the Yamaha oil you got is 80-90 weight, I assume it is, but be sure it says so on the container..

Ride safe.
FYI...there are 80w90 oils that are not GL-5 or EP rated.

G

·
HOLY COW!!!!

You put a Yamaha product in a Honda?

Don't you know that the Yamaha oil will eat the gears completely away. Sure hope it don't eat the final drive housing off the bike.

Just funnin' ya!

I am sure it will be okay, but for my money, I use Mobile 1 75W90 Synthetic gear oil.

PS - Don't tell the sunshine boys you used Yamaha products in your Honda. They will shun you for life.

·
Registered
747 Posts
mobil 1 gear oil. just change it. 4oz. i think. your trip will be alot les stressful worrying about it. it is bullet-proof.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
LarryJohn said:

THIS?

It's GL4,GL5 oil...It will be just fine. :D

FYI.. I use 20-40 Yamaha oil in my wing..Sheesshh, the oil police will hear me. :wink: :wink:

Have a good trip..Randy

·
Registered
547 Posts
What you want to avoid is admitting to using 70 series gear lube, or stuff that's designed for a car. Some people with trikes will condemn you for not using OEM parts. Imagine that! :)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
LarryJohn said:
Probably ok. I'd change it just for the peace of mind, but then again I would have never used it. :p I am very particular about anything like that and only use the very best products.

Go with Amsoil Severe Gear 75- 90W synthetic it's smooth. T.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gear Oil

Yep, I found out through an old Honda wrencher that the oil is OK.

INTHEWIND, the picture you posted is the exact oil I used. Hope my wheels don't drop off. :crew:

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
ammeaux said:
HOLY COW!!!!

You put a Yamaha product in a Honda?

Don't you know that the Yamaha oil will eat the gears completely away. Sure hope it don't eat the final drive housing off the bike.

Just funnin' ya!

I am sure it will be okay, but for my money, I use Mobile 1 75W90 Synthetic gear oil.

PS - Don't tell the sunshine boys you used Yamaha products in your Honda. They will shun you for life.

That is worse than Harley gear oil that eats out the baffles in the mufflers........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts