GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 03 with a new CSC trike kit. Was scheduled to be before Christmas, so it was a late but good Christmas. . Rode it about 60 miles and it rode better than I expected. Did not dart like the Hannigan I tried; which may have been caused by a crown in the road where I rode it, will find out later.

Wife was ready to go for a ride but by the time I got home it was in the 30's so it will probably be next week before we try it out.:excited:

It was in the upper 40’s and was a nice ride.

So far only 2 or 3 issues,

1. Turn signal doesn’t self cancel (which may actually be an improvement)

2. Muffler is a little noisy going down the highway. Used to the GL sound or lack of. It is not a good noise to me but more of a drone.

3. The dash had the “S” lit after I stopped and restarted but it will still allowed me to shift into gear with out stalling.

So far so good. Now if it will warm up a little. I think next week will be warm again.:yes:

Observations: Seems steady, rides more like a 4 wheeler but has more lean, feels weird when only one of the back wheels drops into a hole, can not seem to tell any difference in the adj shock setting but haven’t tried to carve any curves yet., haven’t tried to put my foot down at a few stops, yet. Feels different than a 2 wheeler but still fun.:biker:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Beautiful trike. It will take about 500 or so miles before you are comfortable with it. It rides differently, but it will be second nature soon.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
:congrats: In no time you'll be loving it. If you hit grooves it will naturally dart some. Just don't grip the bars too tight and you will not get the slight darting. :biker: with care and enjoy :thumbup:.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congratulations & welcome to the wonderful world of trikes. You're gonna love it.:p

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Looks great, enjoy and be safe

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine. I just wish it would warm up. It's 11 degrees right now. Come on Spring time!

·
Registered
243 Posts
:congrats: on the new trike. :agree:you have a pretty color. Hope you have some warm days coming your way so you can ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's a great looking trike. Hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
:congrats: on your new trike! They sure are fun in their own unique way.
Ride safely,
Alex

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Picked up my 03 with a new CSC trike kit.

2. Muffler is a little noisy going down the highway. Used to the GL sound or lack of. It is not a good noise to me but more of a drone.

3. The dash had the “S” lit after I stopped and restarted but it will still allowed me to shift into gear with out stalling.

Congratulations on your New 'Cobra' you and the Mrs. are going to love it!

I'm sure your installer will take care of the minor issues but here goes just FYI.........

1. Self canceller plugs together inside the steering stem (little green plug) they may not have been careful to insure it was pushed together tight enough. Also the canceller itself is under and attached to the bottom triple tree and may not have been put back together correctly.

2. Cobra glaspacks are throaty. I like the sports car sound, kind of like a corvette. But with suspension stock ones can't be used.

3. Under your left side chrome engine cover is where they should have zip tied the side stand switch. There should be a zip tie through the center hole securing it in the proper position. With the Trike running turn the inner ring slighty one way or the other 'til it kills the engine. Then turn it back about a quarter turn until the light goes out and engine will start. Make sure that center hole zip tie is Real Tight then!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey, :congrats: ! You're going to love it. As to the adjustable shock, it has to be warmer for it to act, the hydraulic fluid in it gets too stiff until it's about 50 degrees to change the diaphragm in the shock. Ask Beastie for his adjustable shock setting method, he'll send it to you. Once you get it set it does make a difference but on the CSC which is a great handler no matter what, the difference only shows up when you are really rattlin the rear - many high speed turns, lots of transitions, lots of waves in the road, etc. Normal riding it is harder to feel the difference it handles so nice either with it set stiff or set soft. Have fun and Enjoy - I have!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Congrats on the new Trike!!! :congrats: It took me a couple of hundred miles to get used to the different ride, but now love it!! I really do like the throaty sound of my new Cobra glasspack mufflers though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Picked up my 03 with a new CSC trike kit. Was scheduled to be before Christmas, so it was a late but good Christmas. . Rode it about 60 miles and it rode better than I expected. Did not dart like the Hannigan I tried; which may have been caused by a crown in the road where I rode it, will find out later.

Wife was ready to go for a ride but by the time I got home it was in the 30's so it will probably be next week before we try it out.:excited:

So far so good. Now if it will warm up a little. I think next week will be warm again.:yes:

Observations: Seems steady, rides more like a 4 wheeler but has more lean, feels weird when only one of the back wheels drops into a hole, can not seem to tell any difference in the adj shock setting but haven’t tried to carve any curves yet., haven’t tried to put my foot down at a few stops, yet. Feels different than a 2 wheeler but still fun.:biker:
Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations on your new trike. As one who owned a Hannigan/BMW K1200LT, I think there was definitely something wrong when you test rode the Hannigan. Mine was exceptionally stable thanks to the wide track and trailing arm suspension.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the well wishes.

I think a crown in the road the was causing most of the twitchiness w/ the Hannigan but who knows. But still rememberbeing concerned that this was gong to take a while to get used to. The test ride was from the factory in Murray, but still may have also been set up wrong. Haven't ridden the same area as it is to cold (13.6) for me but it amazed me that the CSC was rock steady. The only test ride was on the Hannigan, propably not a good way to check out the trikes. I expected it would take a while to feel at ease but it felt steady from the get go. Which relieved me and had a good ride home. The only issue was/is curves, just feels different. Will take a little while to feel at ease on them.

The "S" being lit but still run while in gear baffels me as I thought if it was lit, that ment the kick (side) stand was down and if the bike was put in gear, the saftey would kill the engine. Don't think it was lit at first because I think I would have found it.

Lonestartrikes
"I'm sure your installer will take care of the minor issues but here goes just FYI.........

1. Self canceller plugs together inside the steering stem (little green plug) they may not have been careful to insure it was pushed together tight enough. Also the canceller itself is under and attached to the bottom triple tree and may not have been put back together correctly.

2. Cobra glaspacks are throaty. I like the sports car sound, kind of like a corvette. But with suspension stock ones can't be used.

3. Under your left side chrome engine cover is where they should have zip tied the side stand switch. There should be a zip tie through the center hole securing it in the proper position. With the Trike running turn the inner ring slighty one way or the other 'til it kills the engine. Then turn it back about a quarter turn until the light goes out and engine will start. Make sure that center hole zip tie is Real Tight then! 2 Hours Ago 06:47 AM"

Your right the installer will correct the minor issues if I don't first. Not worried about the cancel but plan on checking out the side stand switch because am worried that at some point it may stop running when I put it into gear. Planned to check it this moring but had a few other things to do first but 45 minutes later wossied out and came back in where it is warm.
Not sure I want the turn siginal to self cancel as I have to watch it to make sure it hasn't canceled early and has to be reactiviated. As a mater of course, I normally pressed it mutable times, as a normal operations, JIC it had turned off prematurely.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts