GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a postcard thing in the mail from GEICO, a company I despise since they lobby to remove our personal freedoms. In looking over the card, I find that they got my info from GWRRA! I called GWRRA and asked them what's up with this, they are not supposed to sell our info to anyone. The girl replied that no, they don't give or sell our info to anyone else. I proceeded to inquire about the postcard we just got from GEICO. She replied that they were trying to save their member money since GEICO said they'd give a discount to the members (yeah, right.) So, first she said they didn't and then she said they did. Whatever, I told them that was the last straw and to cancel my membership immediately. Further, I told them to remove me from their records, their computers, and even from their waste bins.

So miuch for privacy protection.

I then called GEICO and told them to remove me from THEIR records, stop sending me trashy mail, don't call me, don't mention my name in the toilet, and stop putting their ads in my magazines.

All y'all do the same.

David M.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This may be a possibility:
Since GEICO is a sponsor of GWRRA and state that they can save the membership money on their insurance, they give GWRRA the postcards to send to the membership thus getting around GWRRA giving or selling the addresses.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Go to the GWRRA website and look at the banner ad at the top of the page.

But no one is doing me any favors since GEICO doesn't write insurance in Delaware. :roll:

GWRRA

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a buck is more important than your freedom?

Lord help us.

David M.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
It is on the GWRRA board that the queen herself "Shirley Stevens-Garcia who owns GWRRA" has told members at a rally they do indeed sell your name and information about each of their members. All they see in their eyes is $$$$ signs!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My thought is that someone at Geico got ahold of a gold book,,,,,,took your name from it and sent you a postcard.........now how hard would that be ??????

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Im not really going to complain about Geico because...I havent heard of any issues regarding personal freedoms and cant easily come across something like that in a search on the net. Fact is, every single freakin huge company out there does something that we probably dont like...but just dont know about yet.

I guess Im just kind of like...not a spazz about it because if I get something in the mail I dont want...then Ill just throw it away and move on with my life; is that too simple?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bluewing, Shirley does not own GWRRA, she is a co-foiunder. You did not complete what was said on the GWRRA board although it was incorrect as far as the company name goes. INB owns Wing World magazine and it buys the addresses from GWRRA and sells the address lists to it's advertisers.

When you get it in the mail it is either something you are interested in or just another piece of junk mail.

·
Registered
311 Posts
LaMonster said:
Seems like it would of took a lot less time and effort to just throw away the postcard. :roll:
Ditto

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I really hate all those inserts in the various motorcycle magazines that I subscribe to. The first thing I do is flip through them, remove all the postcards (except one that I use for a bookmark), and tear out the stupid Geico add that inevitably is place between two pages of a picture that covers both pages. I'm not dumb enough to say I'd never buy from any of those companies, because many of the inserts are for subscriptions to that or related magazines - and I do read them.

However, there is a lot of controversy regarding the GWRRA right now, and I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll renew my membership next year. I don't ride with any of the local clubs - in fact the Bees in Garland have just about died - and the magazine doesn't have enough riding articles to warrant the price. I have towing coverage through HRCA and so that doesn't pay off. I just don't see any reason to keep my membership active with them.

That said and done, I imagine there are a lot of folks out there that are members of good clubs and really enjoy friendships through them. As long as you folks let me hang around this board and attend your gatherings, I'm a happy camper and it doesn't cost all that much!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
hmmmmmm....

Don't any of you real bikers remember about 15 years ago when there were all kinds of warnings in the bike rags about GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) not allowing any of their own employees to ride motorcycles? I recall it was a stink of a controversy for quite awhile on a number of company's not allowing a motorcycle to be parked in the company lot a work etc.? Funny how now they insure bikes and used to petition the gvn'ment to declare bikes a dangerous nuisance and should be outlawed? Makes me wonder how committed they really are to my hobby?
Do they use their profits to petition for ever more oppressive motorcycle legislation so we can all be truly safe? Curious minds that like to go fast just really wanna know?

Denny

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are a lot of organizations doing the same thing. If you read the fine print they don't sell/give out personal info on members to anyone, except their "partners". I guess "partners" is defined as who gives up the money first.

Had the same thing with an alumni association that had access to the university database. Contacted the school administration, without a rant, and they changed the way the alumni assoc. did business. Instead of just mining the university database for new info they contact you to see if you want to be a member and then they can sell the info. I think they also ask if you want to be included in their "partners" special offers after becoming a member.

Got me off the mailing list.

·
Registered
552 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
My thought is that someone at Geico got ahold of a gold book,,,,,,took your name from it and sent you a postcard.........now how hard would that be ??????
Dude... I hate to tell you this, but if I was you I would be changing my address, phone number, and would be stocking up on the tin foil hats. :roll:

·
Registered
73 Posts
David
Can't fault your decision based on your viewpoint but you really should know that there really is no such thing anymore as "Privacy". It simply doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for a long time. No matter how much you try to guard your privacy, information on you and all of us is as easy to get as can be. That's life nowadays unless a guy doesn't own a house, car, has no credit cards of any kind, has no utiliities, doctor records or anything you can think of. And there aren't a lot of people that fall into those categories.
Same thing with people that try to stop Spam by never giving out their real email addy. If a person uses their email at all, email robots will pick it up eventually. It's just the way it is. Hate to see you lose a prospective money saver for you just because of a postcard.
Kevin

1 - 20 of 65 Posts