GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Vendor
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If I was in the market now I would go for a 18/19 model just because the colors for 2020 are terrible IMHO.
That's another improvement Honda needs to make IMHO.....lets get some cool colors, not all this drab stuff. (y)
I'm not a big fan of the colors either. I look back on the early years of the GL1800 and I think one of the things that made it such a huge success was all the great colors they made it in. Honda needs to give us more options, and some brighter colors.

Honda of Russellville had some really nice colors on display of bike that they had painted. If I bought a 2020 bike, I think I'd have to get it painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I wish Honda would had bought back the 2003 candy orange. I was asked many times over the years about what color it was by hot rod guys who wanted to paint their cars that color. I liked when the Gold Wings were painted bright colors...well not so much the 2004 purple.. :)

·
Vendor
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wish Honda would had bought back the 2003 candy orange. I was asked many times over the years about what color it was by hot rod guys who wanted to paint their cars that color. I liked when the Gold Wings were painted bright colors...well not so much the 2004 purple.. :)
Honda of Russellville did some 2018 bikes in that color. They were really eye catching.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Honda of Russellville did some 2018 bikes in that color. They were really eye catching.
Yea I know..I seen a Candy Orange at the Wings over the Smokies rally back in Sept...had I known at the time I was buying I might have just paid the extra money for the custom paint..now I have to pay that same money to color match my trailer to my bike...the new wing really looks good in Candy Orange IMO

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought one of the things Honda might do with the DCT (other than clunk) was to leave the transmission in Manual mode, once you have instructed it to go to Manual, rather than the computer taking over on deceleration. Its called Manual mode. The computer won't let you do that because you might damage the engine? Hmm. Where have I heard that before.

G.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The changes in the DCT shifting appear to be from a combination of things. First, Honda added some additional internal dampers in the transmission, so there really isn't any way to do that to a 208/19 model without tearing apart the engine and transmission and spending huge amounts of money. I suspect that the dampers are what are responsible for the reduction in noise and amount of "clunk" you feel when you shift. The 2020 bike shifts feel, (dare I say it) more like the automatic transmission in a car, and are significantly smoother and quieter. The other improvements seem to come from internal programming in both the ECM and TCM controllers for the improvements in throttle response and shift speeds. While the ECM can be reflashed, the TCM has yet been done, which I suspect is where the transmission shift point maps are stored. I don't know if any hardware or wiring changes have been made, so I can't say for certain that the 2020 ECM and TCM could be put on a 2018/19 bike, but I suspect that would be possible. It would however be a pretty expensive proposition.

The Guhl reflash come real close to the changes Honda made to the throttle mapping, so that is a viable option for 2018/19 owners. Actually, I like the Guhl throttle mapping better than the 2020 throttle mapping. I suspect at some point they will also start reflashing 2020 ECMs.

Fred are the mufflers still putting out the " Drone" some are unhappy with?

·
Vendor
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Fred said it downshifted much smoother.
The RPM at which downshifts occur when decellerating has been reduced. This results in a smoother downshift with less engine braking occurring.

Fred are the mufflers still putting out the " Drone" some are unhappy with?
I did not detect any changes in sound of the exhaust.

·
Vendor
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
By the way, it is very possible that there are indeed changes to the Navigation system that I was not able to detect by just looking through the menus. I did not create or load a route into the system to see how it actually navigated a route. I'm attempting to get more info from Honda on any changes to the Nav system, and will share them once I find out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I realize Honda made the down shifting smoother BUT have read they also made handling, at lower speeds, better. Is this the result of the better down shifting or was there other changes made, possibly in the suspension?

·
Vendor
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I believe the handling at low speed improvment was a reference to the new throttle mapping. They made changes to both Tour and Sport mode at the extremely low throttle angle settings to make throttle control more manageable at low speeds.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thank you Fred that was a nice video.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe the handling at low speed improvment was a reference to the new throttle mapping. They made changes to both Tour and Sport mode at the extremely low throttle angle settings to make throttle control more manageable at low speeds.
That's what I need and that's what I think Guhl is doing in his ECM flash. I'm looking up here in Europe to find a company to do this flash. I found someone in France, Tombike, I send him a mail but no answer.

·
Vendor
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've finally found some published HP and Torque numbers from Honda, though it was for a European model.

Peak power of 93kW arrives @ 5,500rpm, with peak torque of 170Nm delivered @ 4,500rpm
This translates to 124hp and 125 ft/lbs of torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fred, I'm waiting on a 2020 DCT Tour to arrive. Your review makes me even more anxious. I appreciate all your thoughts and observations.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts