GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have not been able to do more than a ride around Gate's Pass or a quick run up Mt. Lemmon since I bought the Wing. Yesterday was the first chance for a good shake down ride, I planned to run up to St. George, UT and spend the night returning to Tucson this AM. As is usual, I had a late start, plus a few side trips on the way ;-), there wasn't any way to make St. George before dark. The call of my sweet babies arms was greater than that of a Page, AZ motel room so I turned around at Flagstaff, AZ.

Finally I will get around to the point of this post....my first impressions of the Wing. As all of you know, it is a great bike that does many things well and quite a few superbly. First the things that it did not handle as well as my old Kawi 2000; wind, I guess that is to be expected because of the sail area above the CG. The mid range torque does not feel as "fat" as the V2K's, that said , I found I was passing in some very short passing zones that I would not have tried on the Kawi....go figure :). The Saddle is softer. Is it too soft? I don't know yet, a funny story to me anyway, yesterday as I went through Phoenix it was 106 F. All day I had been suffering from "monkey butt" and thinking maybe it was because the seat was so big or maybe too soft, anyway I was trying to figure out what I could do to make the ride more confortable, as I was filling the gas tank for the last time before the run home I looked down and saw the seat heater was on "Max" and had been all day. The monkey butt went away for the last 96 miles so I guess that problem is solved.

The wind protection and the handling of the bike are great, love the cruise control. I would guess the thing the Wing does best is that is so smooth and almost invisible, by invisible I mean you don't notice the bike it just does what you ask with out any drama.

I loved my big Kawi and at times I miss it but the more I ride the Wing the more convinced I am I did the right thing by trading.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I only have about half the miles you do but I feel the same way.:agree: I traded my Vulcan 1600 and I also love the smoothness of the Wing. :p The power is plentiful its just not the same as it was on the Vulcan. With the Wing if I want to pass I twist the wrist and it goes. No downshift then go, it just goes. I haven't tried the seat heater in 106 deg yet..;) (thats funny)..

Ride Safe
Kevin

It was sad leaving the Vulcan at the dealer.. :cry:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Is it too soft? I don't know yet, a funny story to me anyway, yesterday as I went through Phoenix it was 106 F. All day I had been suffering from "monkey butt" and thinking maybe it was because the seat was so big or maybe too soft, anyway I was trying to figure out what I could do to make the ride more confortable, as I was filling the gas tank for the last time before the run home I looked down and saw the seat heater was on "Max" and had been all day. The monkey butt went away for the last 96 miles so I guess that problem is solved.
I understand EXACTLY what you're saying. 5 years ago my wife and I rented a BMW K1200LT in Phoenix for a ride up through Sedona and across the northern part of the state. My sister lives on the West side but the rental was in Scottsdale. I picked it up and decided to go through town because I needed to stop at the BMW dealer and pick up a power plug for our Autocomm. On the way there I was sweating so bad I probably lost 4 pounds. I played with the seat heater switch and tried it in both the forward and rear position, no effect. After getting rehydrated and taking a faster route home when I got off and read the manual I saw that the BMW seat heater has 2 on positions, forward and rear with off being in the middle! The switch was worn so the markings weren't legible with all the sweat rolling off my face ;)

I rode through downtown in 105 degree heat in stop and go traffic with the seat heater on Max. I almost passed out from the dehydration, I'm surprised you only had monkey butt.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That's funny. I plan to use my seat heater when it's "cold outside". I always check the controls when I get back on because some of the guys I ride with has a sense of humor, and they might fall off their bike laughing at me if I didn't notice.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Yes the wing does alot of things very well without effort and really shines on the long hauls...I did 1083 miles about 19 hours,popped it up on the centerstand for a 2-3 hour nap on the backseat back on the road for another 400+ miles to my final destination...
These wings have many creature comforts to allow long jaunts to seem like a ride around town :thumbup: :cool:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
While I do most of my riding in the mountains of N. Ga., Tn. and N.C., I love putting my slab tires on jumping on the slab just to burn miles.

As you said, the Wing does everything well and some thing incredibly well. On the interstate, I am most pleased with the power to pass at will with very little room needed, the wind and weather protection and all the creature comforts like Cruise. Plus I have added: Navi, XM radio, Bluetooth and SPOT (so the wife can find my arse ;)).

While there are bikes that can go faster, IMO, there are none that can everything the Wing can, as well.

I'd warn you that riding distance can be addictive, but you already kn ow that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My understanding of the way the seat heater functions is that it will not produce heat if the ambient temperature is above around 50 degrees. You might want to try a beaded seat cover for some air circulation. Good luck with your new Wing and ride safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts