GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just followed freds dvds and it was no problem at all.Never thought I could do it til I watched his dvds. Heres a pic of the air filter with 13,325 miles on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
kevin from ny...Nice Job...I just watched that DVD last night :thumbup:...Did you do the intake tube mod while you had them out?

In case you might not know about it...a lot of people have had mice crawl up into the Air filter and make a real mess...the MOD is add screen to the front of each intake...
Just wondering

John

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Nice job but looks like you wasted your time. Filter looks almost like new. I scoped mine at 12k and it was clean changed it at 38k and was a dirtier but still not awful.I'd keep that old filter and reuse next time after a little air blow off. But now that you've done it next time will be a breeze.:thumbup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
That gives me hope, I have Fred's CD'S but have been a little reluctant to try. Now I guess I don't have an excuse anymore...I did spark plugs yesterday, I had better than 55,000 miles on them and they still looked good...Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
. . . I scoped mine at 12k and it was clean . . .
Now THAT is an excellent idea . . . and since I have just such a toy (Harbor Freight Bore Scope) . . . I do believe that I can put it to good use.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Now THAT is an excellent idea . . . and since I have just such a toy (Harbor Freight Bore Scope) . . . I do believe that I can put it to good use.

Works great just remove left pouch and feed it up through thr left intake and take a look see. Saves you the hassel of ripping it apart just to find out it's clean or if it the critters have moved in.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
It is a good idea, but does't always tell the whole story. I changed my air filter last week. It had just shy of 12,000 miles on it and when I took off the left snorkel and looked inside, the filter looked good, but I was that far in, so I changed it anyway. Since then, my fuel mileage has improved a little over 2mpg over the last four tanks of gas.

An air filter does not have to look like a land fill to be restricted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kevin, What is your mechanical ability (novice, intermediate ?) My wing has 25k on her and I wouldn't mind tackling the same project (need Fred's DVD's first) and while being no stranger to a wrench, this job does intimidate me. I'm sure the stealer would charge qute a bit for this job. If a novice wrench can tackle this, I'm all in.

Jim

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
moh58...I agree 100% with you...even if it looks good...change it...throw it away...don't try to blow air through it and reuse it...they don't cost a lot of money...:thumbup::agree:

John

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It took me about 4 hours using Fred's DVDs. I took my time and paused the video between steps. I am having Trax triple tree put on Friday along with BS tires and brakes. Decided to have them change the air filter while it is in the shop. I would change it but why go through the hassle if the bike is going to be laid up for a day anyway. This will probably be my last filter change for this bike, '06 88k on the clock and change every 40k whether it needs it or not. Come on Honda, come out with some bags to match the trunk and I will buy a new bike!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Freds videos are great tool. I like the natural speaking voice, rather than some other videos that sounds like an annoying teacher speaking to grade school kids.

·
Registered
130 Posts
air filter change

[QE=speedfreq;5616545]Kevin, What is your mechanical ability (novice, intermediate ?) My wing has 25k on her and I wouldn't mind tackling the same project (need Fred's DVD's first) and while being no stranger to a wrench, this job does intimidate me. I'm sure the stealer would charge qute a bit for this job. If a novice wrench can tackle this, I'm all in.

Jim[/QUOTE]

I don't have any dvd's. I you tubed the process. Watched the video several times before attempting. Intimidating but not hard. Time consuming. Just take your time. I numbered all the little screws and fasteners so I would remember where they went. You can do it. If I can I know you can. I don't know you...but I know me..you can do this

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kevin from ny...Nice Job...I just watched that DVD last night :thumbup:...Did you do the intake tube mod while you had them out?

In case you might not know about it...a lot of people have had mice crawl up into the Air filter and make a real mess...the MOD is add screen to the front of each intake...
Just wondering

John
I didnt know about that mod.Thanks for pointing that out. I keep my bike sealed up in a car bag so mice aren't a problem but next time I do a filter change ill probably do it

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kevin, What is your mechanical ability (novice, intermediate ?) My wing has 25k on her and I wouldn't mind tackling the same project (need Fred's DVD's first) and while being no stranger to a wrench, this job does intimidate me. I'm sure the stealer would charge qute a bit for this job. If a novice wrench can tackle this, I'm all in.

Jim
Id say Im a novice. Ive always changed the oil.plugs on my bikes but that was about it. Changing the air filter wasn't bad at all.alot easier then I thought. I had the manual and followed freds dvds. I must of watched freds dvd about 10 times so I knew it good. The hardest part was trying to disconnect the tweeter speaker wires and one of the electrical connectors. I think most people including myself find it intimidating is because of all the wires (see pic 1 ) But all you have to do is un plug a few of the connections

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
That gives me hope, I have Fred's CD'S but have been a little reluctant to try. Now I guess I don't have an excuse anymore...I did spark plugs yesterday, I had better than 55,000 miles on them and they still looked good...Thanks
Wow I missed the fact that Fred had a singing set out too. Have to check out his CD file. :joke::joke: Kidding

·
Registered
145 Posts
Those dvd's are just like having Fred there talking you through it. I wouldn't be without them!
Amazing how he did the camera work and wrenching at the same time. I just reinstalled my lower cowling and learned I had done it wrong the first time. It is like having a buddy there - walking you through it - and pointing out newbie mistakes like not lining up all three tabs on the cowling. :cool:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just did my 2012 this past Sunday. Took me about 2 1/2 hrs, taking my time. First one that I have done on a Wing. I did not have videos to watch but I do have the service manual. I Have 24,000 miles on mine and did not look much worse than yours.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts