GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first big scare since I started riding again three weeks ago. Tonight I was going for a ride around the local area. First night in about two weeks that the temp has come down to something real enjoyable - 70 degrees. I was riding some back roads around Anaheim Hills and then got on the freeway. I had only been on for about 2 mins, going about 70 when I almost hit a large piece of big-rig trucker tire tread that had detached. It was black the same shade as the pavement and I did not see it until I was on top of it. It stood up on end about 15 inches. Missed it by millimeters, my right peg scraped it. It was a whole tire length bunched up. I can only imagine what would have happened it I had hit it dead on. Took awhile to calm down. At first I just wanted to head on home but I continued riding for about another hour reminding myself why I was on the bike. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad you're okay! While riding last night to Bismarck, went by a lot of those 'Gaters' on the shoulder of the road. Makes me not want to ride at night because not seeing one in time could end up being a tragedy. It's hard enough just seeing them in the daylight! Anyway, I'm glad everything is good! Take care!

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Yeah... I just ran over one a few weeks ago. Total so far is $4,500 worth of damage to wing and cargo trailer I was pulling with it. Trailer was very messed up... go to trailer overhaul new frame?? Thread for some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow DJ Fire, I'm glad that you are ok.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Yeah... I do not suggest it.

O

·
0 Posts
Retread leftovers

We get a lot of the retread garbage on the freeways down here. I think it's because there is just so much trucking that takes place in the greater Los Angeles area, as well as running up & down the West coast. Dangerous stuff, especially at night! Glad you are okay.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Confirms my mantra - plan your ride for daylight. I ride after dark ONLY if I must or if I was caught at sunset. It appears that preponderance of mc accidents are after dark. In 55+ years of riding my close calls were near or after sunset.

·
Registered
297 Posts
gaters

We had a car shred a left front in front of us a couple weeks ago. I dont look at such events as a scare, I mean ship happens. These things are experiences. You cannot go anywhere in this state without seeing deer and seeing 3 or 4 of em standing in the road is an adrenaline lifter! Riding at night is a dangerous thing to do for so many reasons..I am glad that you are safe and a little wiser too!

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Thanks for reading.
Thanks for writing.

Good thing you still can.

Local energy company I do contract work for has a program they call "near miss" where employees are encouraged to relate "near misses" as it relates to safety practices in the performance of their work and life in general.

Thanks for sharing those near misses, they really do remind me to not get complacent.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Confirms my mantra - plan your ride for daylight. I ride after dark ONLY if I must or if I was caught at sunset. It appears that preponderance of mc accidents are after dark. In 55+ years of riding my close calls were near or after sunset.
The deere around here have made me think this way for some time now.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Riding at night is not my favorite either, only when caught out, sort of like flying single engine at night when everything always seems to go to auto-rough right at dark.

Glad you missed the alligator! Doug was fortunate too, where his expert riding ability paid-off. Many less of a rider would have went down and been badly injured. Two great endings to both your stories!!!

Regards,

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
wow close call

go buy a lottery ticket and stimulate the economy

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Glad to hear you missed the tire tread and ok...
Those tires and other debris are not MC friendly,I was behind a pickup in AZ. he was hauling a pair of tires from a semi on a trailer.All of a sudden the first tire came out hit the pavement bounced so high almost out of the atmosphere :) lol not really out of the atmosphere every bit of 50-60 feet in the air,which is a bit of a eye opener when it's raining semi tires :p

Stay focused and becareful out there!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
While riding home from work, I hit a "gator" with my '02 wing. It cracked the lower cowel and took out one of the driving lights. I had just bought the bike and now I needed to cough up another couple hundred $ for repair. The lesson I learned that day was do not follow the vehicle in front of me to closely. The cage went right over that gator but by the time I saw it, I had no time to react. If any of you have ever ridden I-94 between Chicago and I-65, you know it's covered with gators and the shrapnel the leave behind.
I think those recap semi tires should be outlawed!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A couple of weeks ago on our NW tour we were west bound on I-90 east of Coeur de Alene, 11:00 am, when a "double" blew the front, inside dual on the rear trailier just as we got to the tailgate.

The gator came out, of course, and took off the fender that they use on these trailers. Right in front of us, wing, wife, and Aspen trailer all about 65 MPH!!

Lots of brakes, evasive steering, and the good Lord looking out for us, we missed most of it. Lots of big rocks, dust, and who knows what hit the front of the bike but only damaged the right mirror and turn signal lens.

It can happen anytime!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Glad you're okay!

Sometimes those tires look like a shadow on the road. I saw a shadow recently and when I was almost on top of it I recognized it as a former tire.. I rode right over it and thankfully no damage, but it gave me one more thing to look out for from now on.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I never ride at night as I live in the country and deer everywhere:eek:4:

When I am on the freeway (seldom) I always look at the tires on the semi's when I approach them. but one never knows when they can blow.

To the OP and others here that escaped the debris:thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts