GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recieved my 2010 wing a week ago, and seems to be fantastic!
three weeks from now i am heading to denver from michigan about 1400 mile trip i will be out in that area for nine days before heading back!
the longest trip i have ever taken! will end up with around 4000 miles in all.
i have been searching the forum for tools that i should take and i think i have a grip on what i think i should have just in case.
now what i am wondering is what kind of bike polish, and chrome polish would you take with you for those clean up times.
what works best?
i am open for any ideas you have for a long trip!
thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have used several products but I keep going back to the honda cleaner in the spray can. Works on windshield , chrome etc. Have a great time.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
three weeks from now i am heading to denver from michigan about 1400 mile trip i will be out in that area for nine days before heading back!
i have been searching the forum for tools that i should take and i think i have a grip on what i think i should have just in case.
now what i am wondering is what kind of bike polish, and chrome polish would you take with you for those clean up times.
what works best?
thanks
Microfiber towels, plexus/honda spray/lemon pledge(any of these) for wiping the bike down. I use Plexus. I'd save the wheel cleaning for after I return, but I'd rather ride than clean my bike. Clean off a few bugs, and keep moving.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
pick up a bundle of wash cloths from Walmart. I think there are about 18 in a bundle for a couple bucks. they work great if you get them good and wet and clean off the bugs first, then I use Plexus. I don't recommend using the wash cloths from motel room. Some motels even provide cleaning rags for motorcyclists.

2,732 Posts
10 minutes

I'd do a 10 minute cleanup after I stop for the evening, mainly cleaning the bugs off the front and applying Honda spray wax, then a quick wipe off in the morning before taking off. Enjoy Colorado, you have a lot to see, don't try to cover too many miles in a day. Congratulations on the new Wing, that trip will be a great way to get the "bonding" of man and machine started!!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I start each trip with a good coat of wax on the bike and wheels. I carry two micro-fiber towels, a can of Plexus and a diaper or old T-shirt.

Each night (almost) I wipe the plastic and chrome down with the micro-fiber towels, first one then the other...so I have a dirty one and a clean one. I wipe the windscreen with the clean one (do this first) and then give it a squirt of plexus and use the diaper only on the windscreen.

I wash the towels in the motel and hang them to dry overnight.

I usually don't clean the wheels til I get home. But, on long trips, or when they get really grungy like after a storm, I may visit a coin carwash and clean them along with the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I carry a couple of microfiber rags or diapers, a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide for the bugs and a can of the Honda spray polish. Same for the Miata.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A can of lemon pledge and a couple micro fiber rags, when the windshield gets dirty, I clean it. I don't worry about the rest till I get back home. I have learned over the years that it isn't worth the effort to keep the bike clean.

Big lover of Honda cleaner until I discovered Turtle Wax Ice. Lemon pledge for daily use on a black bike.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Tools? Cash, credit card, cellular telephone and AAA membership.

Polish? None. Borrow old towels from motels to take (most of) the bugs off the windscreen and front lamps. Wash the bike when you get home on a day that is too cold or too hot to ride.

what works best?
thanks

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing from a fellow Michigander. I'll be leaving for a 3 week tour out West on Aug.29th myself.

I carry a can of Honda spray polish a couple of soft towels and a wet wash cloth in a zip lock bag. These items have always been all I need on a long tour. Have fun and ride safe.

Fred

·
Registered
373 Posts
As others have said, the Honda Spray Polish is good and a few of the micro fiber towels. I would also strongly recommend a tire pressure gauge and a small air compressor (found at WalMart or Harbor Freight for less than $20) that plugs into your accessory socket for power. You do have one of those for recharging cell phone, right? You may even want to consider an emergency tire plug kit as well. That air compressor may be worth it's weight in gold if you develop a small leak in a tire in the middle of nowhere. Congrats on the new ride and have a safe trip. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I would add to Ben's recommendation above about the credit card, cell phone a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). You could be riding in areas where you will not find any cell service with a car passing by every 20 or more minutes, and if you have an emergency, by activating the PLB you eliminate the "search" out of "rescue".

Check your tire pressures every morning when the tires are cold. Inflate if necessary.

I would only plug a compressor into the pigtail for the Battery Tender charger that's connected directly to the bike's battery. A cigarette lighter plug, if your bike is so equipped, will blow its fuse when you try to run your compressor.

I only clean the windshield and lights when I stop for the night. I detail the bike once I get back home. I always believed that if you used anything but water to wash the dust and grime off the painted surfaces, you'd be scratching the painted surfaces with the dust and grime that has collected on them. They'd act as sand paper on the leading edge of your towel as you wipe.

Congrats on you new purchase. Enjoy your trip. Nothing but sunshine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts