GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is thinking about a wing as a first bike. I was just wondering if anyone had a wing as their first bike. He has had the MSF but no rideing experince at all. I would rather see start on an 1100 or maybe a 1300. What do you all think. My friend is a pretty big guy and i don't think that the weight will give him any problems, just a lot of bike for a beginner.:shrug:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Six years ago my '94 SE was my first bike.....Since I knew I wanted a wing, I did not want to waste time and money on a smaller bike. I did take the MSF. If I had I was to give someone a tip, it would be try to get in plenty of parking lot practice so that you can get used to the bike especailly the turning radius.....:oops:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I knew a couple that years ago they took the MSF course in Anchorage, AK, then flew back East and bought matching GL1500SE's. This was a first bike for each of them. They took the Wings to a parking lot and spent a few minutes playing around to get used to them, then proceeded to ride the bikes back to Alaska. So yeah, I guess a Wing is OK as a first bike. She was so short she had to have a special aftermarket seat made by Corbin so she could reach the bars with her hands and the ground with her feet!!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have a friend who is thinking about a wing as a first bike. I was just wondering if anyone had a wing as their first bike. He has had the MSF but no rideing experince at all. I would rather see start on an 1100 or maybe a 1300. What do you all think. My friend is a pretty big guy and i don't think that the weight will give him any problems, just a lot of bike for a beginner.:shrug:
My Story:

I NEVER rode or own any cycle.
I always loved a Goldwing.

Told the wife: "Sheila, can I buy a motorcycle."
She replyed: "Mike your NUTS, go ahead, but don't expect me to ride that thing."

In May of 2003 I enrolled in a MSF week long course.
Got my cycle license on Friday.
The following Wednesday I had my new candy red '03 Goldwing in my garage.

The days that followed I didn't ride it but just looked at it sitting there in amazement.
I couldn't believe I pulled the trigger.

Now after 5 years and 40,000, realized that was the best purchase I ever made.

Oh, and in 2003, I was 61 years old.

S

·
0 Posts
My Story:

She replyed: "Mike your NUTS, go ahead, but don't expect me to ride that thing."

The days that followed I didn't ride it but just looked at it sitting there in amazement.

Old enough to know better, but too young to resist!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I had a Honda 250 Scrambler back in the late 60's and early 70's. After that it was just dirt bikes and quads. I rode a 750 Honda for a week one time back about 1973, after that I said I had no desire to ride a road bike. When my Dad passed away in 07 he left me his 97 Wing and I was hooked. Now have a 01 and have put nearly 20,000 miles on it in a yr and a half. So, I have been around bikes, but the first bike I really owned and road on the road was a wing.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
if he did good in the MSF class i think he will be fine

only wish they would of had MSF classes when i first started riding, never got hurt but could have learned a lot, i'm sure i would be a better rider today if i started out with a MSF class

Wi Winger i bet if u ask your wife she would love to go on a nice ride with u to Wi Dells about May 8th

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Wi Winger i bet if u ask your wife she would love to go on a nice ride with u to Wi Dells about May 8th
Boy, how I tryed.
I did catch her walking by the Goldwing once............:lol:

All my in-laws are like that.
Their all good people, but old fashion, brought up Catholics country folks from the farm.
Never have any fun or do anything that could hurt you.
Their risk tolerance must be at 0.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
He's a big boy, not like you're going to convince him otherwise.. At least he's started right and took the course.. If he has good "coaches" as he builds his experiance he should be fine..
Personally I wouldn't use a huge steamship of a bike as his first any more than I'd recommend a 150hp crotch rocket.. That's just me though..

Either way, I hope it's the start af a lifelong passion for him though!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the info. Tony is about 6' and 200+ lbs. i don't think the size of the bike will be a big problem but , i don't want him to get hurt. His wife will be verrrry unhappy with me if he gets hurt.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
My Story:

+1 My first ride after about 40 yrs of not riding a small bike back then it was a little very small bike, so after 40 yrs and at the age of over 50 my first bike was a 1800 Goldwing, and now with over 75,000 mile, I say go for it and start living, :excited::thumbup::coffee1:

·
Registered
201 Posts
bryantwing

My bike before my wing was a shadow. Very easy to learn how to ride, low to the ground and not top heavy - have fun

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey I've read of stranger things. On my ZX forum we have actually had total newbies buy ZX-14's. :22yikes: Sadly, you usually don't hear from them again. Some people just don't use good sense in these matters. But, to each his own mistake, or not hopefully,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts