GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally took the plunge. Had the tire mounted yesterday and put it on the bike today. When I picked up my Dyan beads the owner mentioned they could clump if there is any tire lubricant from the mounting in the center of the tire. I had not watched them mount the tire, so I was unsure about this issue. He suggested waiting a couple weeks before putting them in.

So that's what I will do. If it was the front I would have put them in. At any rate I took a 30 mile spin and all seems fine. Best I could do for lean was a series of on/off ramps taken at high speed. Checking the tire after returning, it appears from the dirt and road grime that I was one inch past the edge of the tire up on the sidewall, as far as contact patch was concerned.

Tire felt good at all times. Took it through some ruts and across some side slopes. The tire does feel different under those conditions, but nothing surprising. Not much different then running on a squared off MT.

Will be leaving on a 13 day, 7K trip on the 25th of this month. Will report in when I get back. Play nice till then please.

Later

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't forget to get your number and sticker. Oh and if you have not figured it out by now the fun has just begun:lol:.

Ride safe,
John

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Don't forget to get your number and sticker. Oh and if you have not figured it out by now the fun has just begun:lol:.

Ride safe,
John
I can't help it... I have to know. Is it IBA33857 or IBA33875? :lol:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
TWOFINGERS, Please explain, "I was one inch past the edge of the tire

up on the sidewall, as far as contact patch was concerned".

Sir, this statement has me concerned. The only way to be on the edge

is---- VERY LOW TIRE PRESSURE. Not long ago I thought rubbing

the sidewall was from (extreme riding). Best wishes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
chrisashbrook, GOOD EYE:shock:!! I can't believe I did not see that:eek:4:. Thanks.

Oh by the way it is IBA 33857.

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sidewall Description

TWOFINGERS, Please explain, "I was one inch past the edge of the tire

up on the sidewall, as far as contact patch was concerned".

Sir, this statement has me concerned. The only way to be on the edge

is---- VERY LOW TIRE PRESSURE. Not long ago I thought rubbing

the sidewall was from (extreme riding). Best wishes.

galewing -

Hope this picture (shamelessly stolen from this forum and annotated) will show what I mean.

The distance between the end of the arrows is one inch. The base of the tire as depicted would be the contact patch if the bike were vertical. Measuring from there vertically one inch would be the end of the "road grime" (chicken strips in the road racer vernacular) as measured after my ride. Yes I do ride some what aggressively.

Tire pressure is and was, 31psi.

I don't see a problem with this and it appears the edge of the tire will wear faster when in the twisties, eventually forming a contact patch much like a MT. It felt fine during my initial ride. No sensation of tire squirm or slip.

Only time will tell and the upcoming trip will be mostlly on the slab, so it will be a while before I can tell.

Regards

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Twofingers, Good job, enjoy your ride and thanks. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts