GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 10K on the Kumho KU31 I put on as my first ct experience and it is starting to get pretty worn....what is the latest and greatest....Michelin PA3 zp seems to get thumbs up on most stuff Ive read on here....Kumho has done fine but the biggest complaint I have is especially at slow speed on uneven surfaces it tends to wanna go where IT wants to go....on old backroads really have to watch it at slow speeds....any opinions on a better tire....comments

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I just replace my Michelin with 21,380 (s)miles on it. It took about a 1000 miles on it to get it to "seat in". I preferred it to the Kumho, Pirelli and Toyo I tried before it and Bridgestone Blizzak I have on now. I haven't tried the new Yoko rof but hear good things about it. I like the tire!

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Top two choices will depend on your riding style. 10k miles tells me you aren't afraid to lean it over. So, do you want performance or MT type of handling? Yoko Envigor for the performance and Michelin for the best MT feeling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been really pleased with the mileage on the Kumho but I really miss the handling of the MT.....unfortunately the last two MT's I had, two B704's...last one had 3900 miles and was shot and the one prior to that had a belt separation after running on the big slab(real lucky on that one)...so I am definitely staying with the CT but want the best one available for directional stability and handling ....thanks for the input....

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
I'm running a wanli rf - $85 delivered . V rated but comes from china ( like everything else these days ) got about 4000 on it and happy so far - not much peg scraper ( florida ) but happy with it on slab - in rain - had alpin 3 before so time will tell on mileage

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just ordered my third Alpin. Way over 20K on the first and lots of miles on the second with very little wear. I just like to have on ready to slap on just in case. I love the feel of the tire. Very easy to handle and ride is nice and smooth. Tears in to the turns like I'm on a rail. All good experience with them so far. I have not tried the Yoko so I can't help there.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
My first CT on my Wing was the Kumho RF (32psi). Liked it a lot and went through 3 of them until the Alpin PA3 came along. Liked the Alpin (32psi) even more and now on my 3rd one (total). My Kumhos usually lasted about 16k miles, but the last Alpin lasted 23,400 miles and still had a bunch of tread on the outer edges. I dropped the pressure to 30psi and will see what this one gets. Your smiles and mileage may vary!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I have been really pleased with the mileage on the Kumho but I really miss the handling of the MT.....unfortunately the last two MT's I had, two B704's...last one had 3900 miles and was shot and the one prior to that had a belt separation after running on the big slab(real lucky on that one)...so I am definitely staying with the CT but want the best one available for directional stability and handling ....thanks for the input....
My thoughts are if you got 10 k out of the Kumho you should mount up a Yoko RF . 10k mark tells me you like to play often . The Yoko is a better play tire than the Alpin .
pm me with your home phone number and best time to call ya if you want to discuss this over phone .

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am on my second ct, MichelinRF. My first was the Kumho,which was OK. After putting the Mich on I was a lot happier with the handling characteristics. I would take Rail up on his offer and talk to him about the difference.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I only got 12k out of my Pirelli and Kumho. I went to the Alpin PA3 ZP and really like it. It wanders less that Pirelli and Kumho (a complaint you mentioned).
I ran 28-29psi on the Pirelli and Kumho and find that 31psi is needed on the Alpin to keep the sidewalls stiff enough for me. I have 28k miles on my Alpin PA3 ZP and it still has 2/32 to go to the wear bars.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Alpin and it will definitely address your complaint of wandering. So unless you like to race on the street and try and leave black comma's at ever corner exit :lol:, the Alpin will serve you long and very well.

I have about 10K on the Kumho KU31 I put on as my first ct experience and it is starting to get pretty worn....what is the latest and greatest....Michelin PA3 zp seems to get thumbs up on most stuff Ive read on here....Kumho has done fine but the biggest complaint I have is especially at slow speed on uneven surfaces it tends to wanna go where IT wants to go....on old backroads really have to watch it at slow speeds....any opinions on a better tire....comments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After checking my log yesterday it appears I was mistaken about the mileage and I only have 8.2K on the Kumho...it was a beautiful day in Alabama yesterday...actually got in the mid 60's and after several weeks of snow, rain, and generally crappy weather it was surely sweet for a cyclist...went on about a 200 mile jaunt through some beautifully twisty Bama backroads...after glancing at my gps one time exiting a long sweeper and seeing 94 on it I suppose that is where all my tires are going....and after the fuel light coming on close to end of ride that kinda confirmed it, since I filled up about 10 mles from the house when I left. It certainly was an exhilarating ride though....that ole GW just continues to put smiles on my face everytime I throw a leg over it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just went ahead and ordered the YOKO RF from Tirerack....they said it would be here tomorrow...that's pretty fast service I'd say...I guess it helps that I'm only 4 hours from where it is being shipped from...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a couple rides on the new Yoko rf and it is terrific.....much better than the Kumho.....falls into turns like a mt without all the countersteer the kumho needed...thanks to all that replied....this Yoko is a totally different animal than the KU31......started the pressure at 34psi after reading many posts on this forum about the Yoko....total miles on Kumho was 8300 and after getting it off and inspecting it good I should have changed it sooner...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now have about 2000 miles on the Yoko rf and I am totally impressed with it....handles much better than the Kumho, especially at low speed on uneven road surfaces and handles much more like a MT in turns..so glad I went with it......kudos for those that recommended it!!!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: That's the ticket!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts