GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Dunlap 175/60/16 Run Flat on my 1500 on Friday, and put 800 miles on it this weekend.

Lowered the bike a little, helping me at stops.
Grips like superglue.
Smooth, there is a noticeable difference between the front hitting a bump and the rear.
No whine like the E-3's I have been running.
Tar strips don't make the bike squirrelly.
Evens out most uneven pavement. I rode some really patched up roads and it did well.
Rode 25 miles on dirt roads, it felt stable, but the roads were hard packed. I haven't tried gravel yet.

Dislikes:
On grooved pavement the bike does feel a little squirelly. Not bad, just feels like it catches and moves the bike over a little, 1/8th inch? Kind of like dirt roads.
3-4 times it seemed to try to tip the bike a little to the center of the lane. I think maybe it reached a point where it shifted over?
Increased RPM's about 300 at 60MPH.

Overall, its been good. Can't wait to see how long it lasts.:thumbup:

I had about 3/8s of an inch clearance to the swing arm, I wonder if a 185/60/16 would fit?

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
I put a Dunlap 175/60/16 Run Flat on my 1500 on Friday, and put 800 miles on it this weekend.

Lowered the bike a little, helping me at stops.
Grips like superglue.
Smooth, there is a noticeable difference between the front hitting a bump and the rear.
No whine like the E-3's I have been running.
Tar strips don't make the bike squirrelly.
Evens out most uneven pavement. I rode some really patched up roads and it did well.
Rode 25 miles on dirt roads, it felt stable, but the roads were hard packed. I haven't tried gravel yet.

Dislikes:
On grooved pavement the bike does feel a little squirelly. Not bad, just feels like it catches and moves the bike over a little, 1/8th inch? Kind of like dirt roads.
3-4 times it seemed to try to tip the bike a little to the center of the lane. I think maybe it reached a point where it shifted over?

Overall, its been good. Can't wait to see how long it lasts.:thumbup:

I had about 3/8s of an inch clearance to the swing arm, I wonder if a 185/60/16 would fit?
:congrats: Greg another Wi. Darksider :excited: what pressure you running? Up it a bit may help,with wondering. Yes a 180/60/16 I read fits. Yes come and get your cookies this time they will be the famous Darkside cookies :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Did someone mention cookies?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...Dislikes:
> I'm on my 2nd Dunlop Wintersport... Note that the tire takes about 1k miles to "break in", afterwhich it has Less tendency to do the "wandering" that you noticed.

> What PSI are you using?... I use 41psi, which I find gives full-contact across the width, tested up to 20k miles on my first one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Congratulations, thats the tire i run, i like it a lot, i tryed 32, 34,36 psi, i like it at 34, anything lower with two up it feels like it drifts to the outside of a curve.Late yesterday my wife and i went for a ride with the psi at 31, thats two low for me, it will get squirrelly fast.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Congratulations, thats the tire i run, i like it a lot, i tryed 32, 34,36 psi, i like it at 34, anything lower with two up it feels like it drifts to the outside of a curve.Late yesterday my wife and i went for a ride with the psi at 31, thats two low for me, it will get squirrelly fast.
Greg :thumbup: Slim has a 1500 also and he will not lead you down wrong path, he is good people !!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:congrats: Greg another Wi. Darksider :excited: what pressure you running? Up it a bit may help,with wondering. Yes a 180/60/16 I read fits. Yes come and get your cookies this time they will be the famous Darkside cookies :thumbup:
I'm running 32 PSI, I'll up it a bit and see how it is tomorrow.
Next time I'll see if I can round up a 180/60/16.
I am looking forward to the cookies. :excited:
They are the real reason I put that tire on. Is the offer good more than once? Do I get more if I take it off and put it back on again? Or do I have to wait for the next new tire?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Me too!

Just mounted my Bridgestone Turanza 195/65/16 on my 99 GL1500 today. Have @ 1/8" to drive shaft side of swingarm @ 41lbs. Have to repair my alternator before I head out, leaking oil from seal behind the drive flange :eek:4: and change the oil. Have to go p/u a darkside front tire tomorrow and mount it.
Now where do I get them COOKIES? & number/decal?????

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
They are the real reason I put that tire on. Is the offer good more than once? Do I get more if I take it off and put it back on again? Or do I have to wait for the next new tire?
If there are cookies on my counter anytime you swing by they can be yours !
Just mounted my Bridgestone Turanza 195/65/16 on my 99 GL1500 today. Have @ 1/8" to drive shaft side of swingarm @ 41lbs. Have to repair my alternator before I head out, leaking oil from seal behind the drive flange :eek:4: and change the oil. Have to go p/u a darkside front tire tomorrow and mount it.
See your other post all info there as far as cookies . Murgie will be along with number info for ya . But all you need to do is PM him and ask kindly :thumbup:

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
WTG Greg. I am glad it is working good. I noticed that if you play with the tire pressure, it will make a difference at some point. I also let mine down to 20 to see how it feels with low air pressure. Just wanted to know the feeling. I also noticed I notice a difference when the pressure is down as little as 2 pounds. When you go for cookies, let me know and I will come along. I love cookies.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
WTG Greg. I am glad it is working good. I noticed that if you play with the tire pressure, it will make a difference at some point. I also let mine down to 20 to see how it feels with low air pressure. Just wanted to know the feeling. I also noticed I notice a difference when the pressure is down as little as 2 pounds. When you go for cookies, let me know and I will come along. I love cookies.
Yes young grasshopper pressure does play a big part ;) please bring ,eggs,sugar, and or milk as the demand for cookes is skyrocketing :joke: kinda

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Yes young grasshopper pressure does play a big part ;) please bring ,eggs,sugar, and or milk as the demand for cookes is skyrocketing :joke: kinda
If I bring eggs, sugar and milk, I will be sitting in the kitchen waiting eat them as they come out of the oven (nice and hot).:excited:

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
First you need to find a local park. Drive the bike onto the grass and tip it on it's side. Begin process of removing wheel while passers-by ask if anything is wrong. Works perfect and I am a witness.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A 195 is a wide tire for a GL1500...?!?!

A 195...?! I wouldn't think it would fit in a 1500.

I run a 175 -75 right now and firmly believe a 185 would fit in for width as well but a 195 is pretty wide....

The nice part about the 195 - 65 is it is pretty close to OEM sizing and doesn't affect RPM's too much.

The 1500 Speedo is driven off the front wheel so it doesn't matter there.

My 175-75 (Vredestein Comtrac) will feel squirlly at 41 PSI but I run it at 45 PSI and it feels GOOD.... I can tell when it drops a few lbs too. If I ride 2-up I increase the pressure to 48 LBS . This tire has a max pressure of 69 lbs so I am nowhere near the top. I have tried it at 50 LBS and found it to be a bit harder than I prefer.

1500 riders can also love the Darkside...Double dark for me with the Bridgestone BattlAx running reversed on the front....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
If I bring eggs, sugar and milk, I will be sitting in the kitchen waiting eat them as they come out of the oven (nice and hot).:excited:
That's when there the best.. I've had many if belly aches to assure you of that :thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I have to agree. Checked the pressure and found I only had 28 PSI. :eek:4: Seems my neighbors tire gauge is different than mine. Ran it up to 32 and now it rides a lot easier. Haven't put but a couple miles on, so I can't give a full update, but I think it's safe to say the squirminess is gone.:excited:

Eggs, sugar and milk are on the way. Will gladly trade for nice and hot Darksider Cookies.
I think you might need some chocolate chips, too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I run 38-41 psi have 9k on the tire and only used 3/32 of rubber, wait untill you get to ride in the rain if you will be impressed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts