GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at Kwik Trip today after work. I went in got a few health food items (muffins and brownies).As I come out 2 guys are looking at my bike and focusing on the rear tire. Hear it the conversation as best as I can remember.
Guy 1 " That Dark Side sticker means you run a Car Tire, right?"
Me "yep"
Guy 2 "That a car tire on there now?"
Me "Yep"
Guy 2 "You know they are not safe don't you?"
Me "Really? Why is that?"
Guy 1 "Can't turn very sharp with it before the back end slides out causing you to crash"
Me "I heard that once."
Guy 1 "It's true. I know a guy who had one and tried to ride on highway M by Picket. He went into a turn and lost control and crashed"
Me "Wow sorry to hear that. Was he okay?"
Guy 1 "Nope he died"
Me "Man that is terrible"
Me "Have you tried one?"
Guy1 "Nope I don't have a death wish"
Guy 2 "If you heard that they are unsafe, why to you have one?"
Me "Well I heard all that and am totally against them. I am only running this one because it handles so much better and it is a run flat. After haveing to replace 3 tires in 4 weeks last, I figured that a run flat was a better idea."
Guy 1 "Hmm run flat huh? I didn't know they made such a thing."
Me "Ya, me either, but they do."
Guy 2 "Well I am glad you have a run flat and not a car tire."
Me "It is a car tire."
Guy2 "Ya but not a real one, so that is cool"
Me " Yep you are right. You guys have a great day"

Sure makes you wonder about the gene pool.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, there you go. We don't run a car tire after all. :wrong:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Loved it!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
George when this gets old ,let me slap a NRF on there for ya. It gives me another 1/2 hour discussion . As with the tire the conversations only get better. :nojoke: I use the line " Got some time?? Follow me ,(Not out loud if you can ,idiot )

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
These people who have never tried a ct, yet are the experts (tho these 2 had just heard things that were untrue) amaze me!
i am now on my 2nd ct because the 1st one proved to be SO MUCH BETTER than the mc tires available for the wing, that a comparison is laughable.

And on a side note, although FUSE did try a ct, I don't think he used it long enough to truly adjust to it----BUT AT LEAST HE DID TRY before he made his decision. I just can't tell enough handling differences to even consider going back to a mc tire. I have ridden other wings that had just as much difference in the handling characteristics from bike to bike! Much less from, say a harley to a yamaha cruiser to a wing---each bike handles just a little differently-that does not make it "bad"!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The pool needs more chlorine . . . .

:shrug:

:wrong:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great story...thanks for sharing! I have had almost everyone at work look at the CT I put on...and when I tell them it is a run flat they say... "Oh cool"

I was riding home from work yesterday white lining when I came up behind two other wings white lining. The guy I came up on had a CT on and he looked like he was REALLY nervous to go between the cars...almost to the point of wobbling back and forth. My bike was smooth as silk white lining with my CT especially going over the lane markers, much better than the MT was. I had to go over to the next lane and passed the other rider and couldn't help but shake my head at him. If you cannot white line good enough at least get out of the way of the bike that is behind you for quite a long time!

This was going through Fairfield Ca on the freeway yesterday. I keep trying to find ways to test the CT and everything I throw at it leaves me with nothing but respect for what it can do.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Here's your sign.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I use the line " Got some time?? Follow me ,(Not out loud if you can ,idiot )
Randy, I say, "If you got some time, how about you follow me for a few miles in the twisties, so you can see how bad it is?" ;):lol:

So far, nobody has taken me up on it. Darn it.:evil:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Damn- that's just scary!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well there you go.We Run Flat guys run BMT's.the rest of you run them thar Car Tires after all.:congrats:

Laugh Jon.it's funny.:thumbup:
But I like my car tire:bow:

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's normal those who haven't done it know more that those who have.:lol:

That's like someone doing 50 mph over the 25 mph limit thanks everyone is pulling out in front of them. It has nothing to do with the closing speed.:lol:

:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
They had a "a car tire will kill you" display at Wing Ding this year. They had a section of MT on a piece of rim and some sort of weak ass looking CT on a section of rim and a sign that said, "Which Tire Would You Trust" or some such thing. The guy at the booth had no clue what the CT was or anything else about it. Looked to me like it came off a '78 Vega for all I know.

I tried to debate the slug but he was so clueless it was a waste of time. I told him it would be a much more interesting and accurate display if they had a RF tire for the CT or even any tire that might actually be used on a GW. He just grinned sheepishly and agreed that yeah maybe so or something maybe whatever.

It's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man and pointless arguing with someone who knows somebody that knows somebody that did something or other.

·
Registered
224 Posts
CT induced Accidents

So, Is there any data that supports CT can cause accidents (clearly due to the tire shape)? My guest here isn't any info or data.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
They had a "a car tire will kill you" display at Wing Ding this year. They had a section of MT on a piece of rim and some sort of weak ass looking CT on a section of rim and a sign that said, "Which Tire Would You Trust" or some such thing. The guy at the booth had no clue what the CT was or anything else about it. Looked to me like it came off a '78 Vega for all I know.

I tried to debate the slug but he was so clueless it was a waste of time. I told him it would be a much more interesting and accurate display if they had a RF tire for the CT or even any tire that might actually be used on a GW. He just grinned sheepishly and agreed that yeah maybe so or something maybe whatever.

It's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man and pointless arguing with someone who knows somebody that knows somebody that did something or other.
I almost stopped by that display also. Told myself to just let it go. I was going to ask them why they had an anti CT display and they were giving away a trailer.:shrug: Them darn trailers are way more dangerous than car tires.:joke:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

dang it, I missed it!

What booth was that? Rider Ed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts