GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize Gerbings is the heated clothing of choice, or seems to be..., but I'm interested in comments from anyone who has used or is using the First Gear jacket and/or pants liners. I'm not interested in any debates about whose product is better, or who has the best price..., only what you think about the First Gear products.

I haven't bought anything, and may not buy anything, but I've always been happy with First Gear jackets and gloves, so I was curious about their heated liners.

One other question for anyone who knows..., are the plug-ins and controllers for each outfit (Gerbings and First Gear) compatible with each other. In other words, can you plug Gerbings into a First Gear controller, and vice-versa?

Thanks for comments, and PLEASE, no debates... ;)

-

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
First Gear Heated clothing is made by Warm & Safe. It's compatible with Gerbings, Harley, aerostich , All major brands.

If interested Give me a shout, I can offer you a good deal on Warm & safe heated gear

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First Gear Heated clothing is made by Warm & Safe. It's compatible with Gerbings, Harley, aerostich , All major brands.
Thanks for this..., good to know... :thumbup:

-

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have Gerbings, my wife has Warm & Safe. We both like ours. Hers fits tighter to the body (stretch fabric) and seems to give good warmth with out having to wear something over it to keep it close to the body. She still wears protective clothing over it. Gerbings requires an additional layer of clothing to keep it compressed to the body to work well, in addition to the protective clothing.:shrug:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just out of curiosity, what's the diff between Warm & Safe and First Gear?

-

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Gerbings, my wife has Warm & Safe. We both like ours. Hers fits tighter to the body (stretch fabric) and seems to give good warmth with out having to wear something over it to keep it close to the body.
The "compression" factor with First Gear was one of the things that I liked about it.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Warm and Safe makes the items sold under the First Gear Brand Name. I like mine. As has been said you can mix and match as they are all compatible. Tourman has some good discounts.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have the Frist Gear heated jacket liner and am very pleased with it. Used it on my trip to the West in late September and was glad I had it. It performed to my expectations. I'm wearing it in this picture at the Beartooth pass(30 degrees) and I was warm as toast.

I also have the First Gear heated gloves(classics) and they are great also.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Rember the liner is meant to go under any type of coat or jacket. I use anything from a windbreaker to a heavy coat over it depending on conditions

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rember the liner is meant to go under any type of coat or jacket.
Yes..., I think that's why they are called "liners"... We already have First Gear mesh jackets, which we really like.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
No he and tourman sell the actual name brand product. If you want the first gear brand name then among other places, Cycle gear sell them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Brian,

I got a FirstGear heated jacket liner last year, and I really like it. I ride a vtx so got the 65 watt one, figuring not to tax my alternator too much. But they also sell a 90 watt one as well, which a Wing would certainly handle. I bought the dual controller, in case I end up getting heated gloves or pants, or want to plug another liner in for my wife, she says she doesn't like riding in cold weather that much. But the real advantage is you don't have to bulk up so much, put on the liner and adjust for morning and later afternoon. To me it's like sitting in an electric blanket, feels pretty good, and when your torso is warm, the rest stays warmer. Someone told me just get a vest, but with my bike, my arms are out in the wind a bit, and I enjoy having the heated sleeves too. I think any of the major brands are great stuff.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a FirstGear heated jacket liner last year, and I really like it. I ride a vtx so got the 65 watt one, figuring not to tax my alternator too much. But they also sell a 90 watt one as well, which a Wing would certainly handle. I bought the dual controller, in case I end up getting heated gloves or pants, or want to plug another liner in for my wife,
From what I understand, you shouldn't plug two different sets into the same con-troller. In other words, you need one for you, and a separate one for the passenger.

Someone told me just get a vest, but with my bike, my arms are out in the wind a bit, and I enjoy having the heated sleeves too.
I with you on that one. One of the areas I need to keep warm is my arms, so I think a vest would be out. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts