GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Derfacola said:
Does Anyone Have First Gear Kilimanjaro Air Jacket
Is It Worth The Price
I have 2 of them, just bought the second before they are gone -- Newenough says that they are no longer being manufactured. Its my primary riding jacket from mid-May to mid-September.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I really like mine except for one drawback. I get cold at temps under about 48 F. even with a sweatshirt on. On the plus side, if it's above 70 I can remove the liner and be pretty comfortable up to around 85 or 90 while moving. I'm a little cold blooded though.
I plan on purchasing a Gerbing liner this winter also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had one for several years and unlike the poster before me I ride deep into the 30's with it and it is fine (now my fingers are another matter). I just replaced the rubber pads throughout the jacket & other than that it is is good shape with 200K + miles on it.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had the Killi Air and returned it after one use.
The "waterproof" liner is indeed waterproof. However, it is a little too short and rain will go in through the mesh and run down the liner and fill your britches. Like sitting in a river.
I traded it in on a regular Killi. That didn't fit at all.
Traded that in on a Joe Rocket Ballistic IV that I still wear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jackets

I bought two FirstGear jackets. One for the winter months and one for the summer months. The winter jacket is great. The summer (which is the mesh tex) is okay but in hot weather you will get hot. So you have to make the decision as to having body armour vs being hot. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kilimanjaro Air

I've had one for a couple of years and am generally pleased. The liner is warmer than you'd think and works pretty well in light rain. Never used it in hard rain. I've had trouble with the zippers, though. The main zipper broke right away and they fixed it under warranty. Later the little zipper that holds the lining in broke. Rather than fix it I just put the liner on first then put the jacket over it. I especially like it for dual-sport/adventure riding.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My wife and I both have one and we like the jacket. The liner is amazing, to say the least. However, we both toss the Killi Air for our FG Mesh Tex jackets for summer riding. I have the first edition Mesh Tex, so I bought the FG waterproof/windproof overjacket. You can wear it either under or over the jacket, and it is waterproof. For the Killi Air, when it gets really cold, I zip in the liner and also wear my Gerbing liner. Then I'm toasty. But then I tend to get cold easily for some reason. It fits well and is comfortable.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We have had the Killi Air for two seasons now. We really like them. However they are not as warm in the cold as a non mesh jacket. With all the mesh the only thing between you and the cold is the liner. I mostly notice it on the arms. It is good down into the 50's but then you need more. We have Gerbring heated jackets and with those on you are good into the 30's or lower. But everyone's body works different. As seen above, some find it fine in the lower temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts