GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the information I can find about the new GL Tour DCT. I am anxious to hear from GLRiders Members as they receive delivery of any of the new models. I would expect information from experienced Gold Wing Riders to be very informative. I am out here in Boise, Idaho so we are heading into winter. This spring some of you will have some miles on the new 2018s and I hope you will post here to help the rest of us as we consider buying one of the new 2018. I have in mind the tour DCT in Hawkseye blue. My plan is to wait until somebody in Idaho gets one and I can get that buyer to take my wife for a short ride. That was all it took for her to put the OK on giving up our beloved 1996 1500 for one of the first 2001s. I hope the GL Tour DCT will be just right for us as I am 73 with some health issues to also take into consideration. But, hey, if I am still riding next spring, I would like it to be on the bike that will bring the most joy to my wife and me. Right now it is looking like the new GL Tour DCT will be that bike. Thanks in advance for your owner reports and thanks to others who have expressed opinions and concerns about the new bike.

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
I have read all the information I can find about the new GL Tour DCT. I am anxious to hear from GLRiders Members as they receive delivery of any of the new models. I would expect information from experienced Gold Wing Riders to be very informative. I am out here in Boise, Idaho so we are heading into winter. This spring some of you will have some miles on the new 2018s and I hope you will post here to help the rest of us as we consider buying one of the new 2018. I have in mind the tour DCT in Hawkseye blue. My plan is to wait until somebody in Idaho gets one and I can get that buyer to take my wife for a short ride. That was all it took for her to put the OK on giving up our beloved 1996 1500 for one of the first 2001s. I hope the GL Tour DCT will be just right for us as I am 73 with some health issues to also take into consideration. But, hey, if I am still riding next spring, I would like it to be on the bike that will bring the most joy to my wife and me. Right now it is looking like the new GL Tour DCT will be that bike. Thanks in advance for your owner reports and thanks to others who have expressed opinions and concerns about the new bike.
To find out if it is really right for you and your wife, I would suggest both of you going to a dealer and taking a demo ride on one. You will know if it is "right" for both of you after that demo ride.

:doorag:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer 1.8 miles from my house sells Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris and Suzuki products. Really big on ATVs, lawn mowers, snow blowers, generators, sport bikes, dirt bikes, cruisers, jet skis and snow mobiles. They do not sell many Gold Wings and generally are not particularly interested in catering to Gold Wing customers at all. I doubt if they will offer any demo rides.

I prefer to work with a dealer 12 miles away, but, again, this is a small shop, but a completely different feeling. Good folks that I have worked with quite a bit. They have sold bikes for me on a consignment basis and that was always a good experience. But they cannot price like a high volume dealer. I doubt if they will offer any demo rides. but I will ask both dealers if Honda will bring a demo to this area.

I will look for an opportunity to demo anyplace in the northwest, but I am pretty much sold on the bike already. Just need to hear from owners with actual experience. This is why I am looking for posts from owners who have actually ridden the new bike.

Thanks to pricing information already posted on this site, I at least have some numbers from
other dealers to use so support my negotiation position.

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
Well you'll probably have to wait till Jan to get owners opinions. That is when the new wings should be arriving at the dealerships. Dealer in my neck of the woods has three new wings coming in Jan. but it probably will be March before owners can get out and ride them. Below are some links to bike magazine reviews of the new wing over in Japan.

http://ridermagazine.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-review/

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-honda-gl1800-gold-wing-tour-motorcycle-review#page-2

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I would wait till about the middle of summer till we see all the real pro and cons of the new bike. If for some reason you might want to ride on a new 17 with your wife and then compare it down the road with the new one.

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
I would wait till about the middle of summer till we see all the real pro and cons of the new bike. If for some reason you might want to ride on a new 17 with your wife and then compare it down the road with the new one.
I would think you would see pros and cons from riders before the middle of summer. Bikes should be arriving in dealerships in Jan. IMO, riders in warmer parts of the country are going to be taking trips and giving their opinions on the new bike long before the middle of summer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
SRoss,
I too am very excited about this new bike and am learning as much as I can (still gotta bout 100 pages left of the 246 page owner's manual!). I am also heading up to the NYC International Motorcycle Show tomorrow and Sat to see the bike in person (of course no demo rides allowed). I will make a full report after the show.

FYI, there aren't many Tier 5 Powerhouse dealers out your way. I see two in Utah (SLC, and Orem). How close are you to one of those locations?

Cheers.

Matt

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reponders,
Thanks for your response. All is appreciated. I plan to check on UT dealers as well. My concern is I expect some problems figuring out all the technology on the new bike and I think buying a bike elsewhere will make it difficult to get full attention at local dealer. I am sure they would accept warranty work, but I have concerns about them being up to speed on the new bike. Hopefully there will not be major warranty work, but my concern is for the little problems that are not clear enough for me in the owners manual. For example, I may have a problem getting Blue Tooth set up. I have BT in my cars, but I have always used the cable connection on the bikes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
For example, I may have a problem getting Blue Tooth set up. I have BT in my cars, but I have always used the cable connection on the bikes.
That one's easy. Do what my wife does and give the task to an 11 year old (our daughter). They'll have everything connected up and running in minutes :laugh:

Seriously, anybody under 40 with some semblance of tech skills would have no issue helping to set up the bluetooth for you. I would not rely on the dealership for this.

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
That one's easy. Do what my wife does and give the task to an 11 year old (our daughter). They'll have everything connected up and running in minutes :laugh:

Seriously, anybody under 40 with some semblance of tech skills would have no issue helping to set up the bluetooth for you. I would not rely on the dealership for this.
:agree: Any millennial will be able to do it pretty quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts