GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here on the board. Not new to boards though! I have posted a few questions and I thank the people that have helped. I bought my bike one week ago today. I had heard about the over heating and a little about the frame. Both I figured were taked care of.

I have always owned Honda's. I have had a couple of other bikes but seemed to always go back to a Honda. In October of 2003 I bought a new (2004) Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. At the time I had been on a 1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk. I started thinking of buying a new bike and after looking at price versus value I came up the the Spirit. The looks were what I wanted and the cruiser style was what I wanted. After spending a lot of time on a Shadow board and changing a few things on the bike I just couldnt get the bike to do what I wanted it to do. A friend of mine after seeing my bike, bought a 2004 Shadow Sabre. We would spend Saturdays on different rides. Over the next couple of months I got to the point where if I had a chance to buy a (new) 1985 650 Nighthawk over my Shadow I would have taken the Nighthawk. I found the Shadow seemed to be very under powered. At a claimed 60 hp going up hills, and in Florida these arent real big hills, the bike had to be down shifted to 3rd gear to make it to the top without losing 20 mph. The friend of mine was having the same problems. He took his bike in for a minor problem and while waiting the dealer told him to jump on a new Gold Wing and see what he thought of it. Well he never road the Shadow again. He bought the Gold Wing and never looked back. Over the next few weeks we would go for our ride and after about 150 miles I was ready to get off the Shadow and he was itching for more miles. I finally made the mistake of getting on his Gold Wing. It had it all. Power, smooth ride and handled like a sport bike. So my search began. After hitting a few dealers I came across a new 2003 Candy Orange Gold Wing that the dealer had. The price was right and we made a deal. I got off that Shadow and promised myself never again would I get on one. Now dont get me wrong the Shadow is a great bike. People get thousands and thousands of trouble free miles out of them. I just think Honda (which I hear is not going to make the bike anymore) didnt get the gears right on the bike. That or with the ratios needed more hp for the bike. Now it has been one week on the new Gold Wing. Today we went on our normal Saturday ride, which ended up being almost 300 miles, which had been about 130 miles all the times before. I now have read about the frames cracking and the over heating problems on this board. But coming from that Shadow I have to say, and maybe I'm crazy, I wouldnt have bought anything different. I feel bad for anyone that has had the problems but with or without the problems this is one unreal bike. This is the first bike that I get on and just want to go and go. I will keep an eye on the frame and keep an eye on the temp, but I couldnt ask for a better bike. I might have the same problems that other people have had but at this point knowing what I know I would buy the bike all over again. Here I sit after almost 300 miles and unlike the Shadow I dont feel like someone just beat me with a pole. I have a wait and see attitude. If the bike has problems I will deal with them at that time. But until that time, I will ride it like there is no tomorrow!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Smart move.

That orange was my final color,I think it looks tuff.From my neck of the woods,some stealers still have 03,and want more than I got my 04 for. I ended up with Magenta, only one on the floor,and Maytag white was next color,so I got it. Three bikes ago I too had a Shadow.Good ride,but lacks power big time,when bike before it was a V65 Magna.No rush at all,but maintenace free.This Wing is a fine ride,you will just love it.Only flaw I see is the shim and bucket valve train,but can't have everything you want.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure coming off of your V65 Magna most bikes would feel under powered. I always loved the early Magna's. I never owned one but I had a friend that had bought one new. Very nice bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts