GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For European users of this site.

Honda Europe has released the first software/GPS update for the new GoldWing 2018+.

It addresses:
- GPS voice guidence and POI issues when bike when power was switched off and on.
- Some issues with Bluetooth.
Which is in line with the US october 1st update.
and also will update the maps, which will be a yearly update and first 10 years for free.

I think the map update was not included in the US update, but for US most likely will be integrated with the via (waypoints) increase planned for january 2019 (so anytime soon).

I hope this key issue of increase of via points update for Europe will follow faster then this update.

In Europe the update is managed as service bulletin and software download from Honda site via the dealers and not via a customer download on the Powersports site like in the US. I managed it to do it myself as my dealer provided me the service bulletin and the software on a USB stick. The update procedure is identical as the procedure on the US powersport site with exception of the software file download. (the US version will not be downloadable on EU version).

So European 1800+ owners, expect that the dealer will contact you regarding this or that you contact them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow!!
Thanks a lot for good news!!
Any extended info?
It's from Honda headquarter?

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wonder how many Wings are sold in Europe comparing to US? They always get everything first with at least a year or more ahead.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wonder how many Wings are sold in Europe comparing to US? They always get everything first with at least a year or more ahead.
In the case of the GoldWing this is not correct. US gets always the new GL, accessories and updates before Europe.

The new model deliveries in US started in january 2018 and Europe april 2018. This is typical for all new Goldwing models as I have found out in 43 years driving GoldWing and buying many new versions.
This software for GPS update is 4 months after the US (with exception of the maps update)

This is normal as the GoldWing key market is the US. In case of the Africa Twin CRF1000 (which I also drive) however this is the other way around and first deliveries start first in Europe as Europe is the key market for this product.

My estimate is that total Europe had 2000-2500 GL 1800 2018 model last year with France the largest proportion with around 1100, Germany 400 etc. I think in US it will be more then 10000. (First year GL1800 production of 2001 model was around 18000 (based on recall data on 2001 model published by Honda)

·
Registered
318 Posts
In the case of the GoldWing this is not correct. US gets always the new GL, accessories and updates before Europe.

The new model deliveries in US started in january 2018 and Europe april 2018. This is typical for all new Goldwing models as I have found out in 43 years driving GoldWing and buying many new versions.
This software for GPS update is 4 months after the US (with exception of the maps update)

This is normal as the GoldWing key market is the US. In case of the Africa Twin CRF1000 (which I also drive) however this is the other way around and first deliveries start first in Europe as Europe is the key market for this product.

My estimate is that total Europe had 2000-2500 GL 2018 last year with France the largest proportion with around 1100, Germany 400 etc. I think in US it will be more then 10000. (First year GL1800 production of 2001 model was around 18000 (based on recall data on 2001 model published by Honda)
Ok, I didn't know US had the update already. Take it back.
I thought that GW market in US is bigger for several reasons. It's just not the case with many other bikes (waiting to see the Tracer 900GT) to finally come here.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Ok, I didn't know US had the update already. Take it back.
I thought that GW market in US is bigger for several reasons. It's just not the case with many other bikes (waiting to see the Tracer 900GT) to finally come here.
US bike have had two updates to the gps/nav unit. The second update fixed the the issue with the CB volume screwed up by the first update. The third update should be available before the end of Jan 2019.

:doorag:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow!!
Thanks a lot for good news!!
Any extended info?
It's from Honda headquarter?
Euro update :
2019 SW update level: HG.ED.18.10.19.08.11.08
Software update also fixes the following known errors:
Acoustic navigation aid does not restart after the ignition has been switched off and on again.
POIs (Points of Interest) were not retained after switching the ignition off / on.
Problems with the Bluetooth connection

Euro bike have no CB option :wink2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks , useful info!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you very much for these good news. Will contact my dealer next week ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
As I am living in Belgium, and the dealer knows nothing about a sofware update that would extend the route waypoints to 99, I wonder if anyone knows if this was included in the only european update so far, or we have to wait for the ‘US jan 19’ update euro version here in Europe, where Honda Service is less responsive and extremely slow in adressing problems.
Many thanks for any info,
Paul

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Paul, like in the US the first European update did not include the extension to 99 via points and was 3-4 months after the US first update as it seems Honda Europe want to verify first. The update including the 99 via points which was available in US in January 2019 is according a German GoldWing forum member who got this info from Honda Germany expected in May 2019 for Europe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I asked Honda Customer Relation Europe, when this update (99 waypoints) will be available in Europe. The question I got back was : VIN number and dealer please?? I send my VIN number and told them that Name off the dealer is not relevant to my question. No answer anymore. If I understand it wel, is Honda powersport in the USA the software manufacturer. May we have to ask over there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have any further on whether there is an update on the nav system in Europe/UK to get to 99 waypoints. Just bought a 2019 model year and it still has only 8 waypoints. Dealer is very vague as to any update. I really don't think he knows. Bit disappointing really considering the price. Would like to say I love the bike but i got about 500 miles on it before everything closed because of the virus. However, enjoyed the 500 miles I put on it. Roll on the end of the restrictions!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have any further on whether there is an update on the nav system in Europe/UK to get to 99 waypoints. Just bought a 2019 model year and it still has only 8 waypoints. Dealer is very vague as to any update. I really don't think he knows. Bit disappointing really considering the price. Would like to say I love the bike but i got about 500 miles on it before everything closed because of the virus. However, enjoyed the 500 miles I put on it. Roll on the end of the restrictions!
software version : : HG.ED.18.11.29.08.16.00
downloadlink : https://honda-motor-europe.sharefile.eu/d-s1bfa271bd364018a

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey MikeHub,
thanks for that quick response. I will download that and get it on the bike asap. I wonder why the dealer has no idea about this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts